C&C / SPNG "A" Frame Turntable Drawings?

Curtis_F

C&C / SPNG "A" Frame Turntable Drawings?

Post by Curtis_F » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:14 am

Could someone please point me towards a source of accurate drawings for the turntable at Laws, CA.?

An acquaintance of mine is looking to build a 2.5" scale model of the turntable as a set piece for doing photography of some live steam models.

Most of the drawings for the turntable that I've seen are 1/4" or 3/16" scale at best, and are really not much more than a basic representation of the structure.

Are the drawings used to build the Orange Empire RR Museum and Folsom, CA. replica turntables available to the general public?

Thank you for you time,

Curtis F.
Curtis S. Ferrington
Train Nut

Andrew Brandon

Re: C&C / SPNG "A" Frame Turntable Drawings?

Post by Andrew Brandon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:05 am

Curtis,

I believe the drawing used by the city of Folsom is part of the CSRM collection, although I cannot remember the call number.
NSRM, I think used the same set of plans. In addition, there was a 3rd new turntable of this type I heard was being built in California, I cannot remember where this was happening.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

Brian Norden

Post by Brian Norden » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:10 pm

The Laws turntable is similar to the SP standard plan used for Nevada State RR Museum, and the later ones at Folsom and Orange Empire. But there are differences. The SP plans will make a good generic wooden turntable used on either standard or narrow gauge.

When the Folsom and OERM sets of castings were made there were two other sets made. They apparently went to a project that never got off the ground.

The Laws turntable apparently reused castings (like the center bearing) from an older C&C turntable. Max Cox of the Museum at Laws reports that difference. Paul Dieges of Orange Empire spent time studying the Laws turntable and utilized some of the differences in the Orange Empire turntable.

I'll probably be seeing Paul Dieges this weekend and will try to remember to ask him about plans. Paul's a registered civil engineer.
Brian Norden

Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:15 am

Andrew,

Thank you for the info, I checked on the CSRM Technical Drawing Database and found a few drawings for a "Standard" 56' turntable.

---------

Brian,

That is interesting. I would like to know more if you happen to see Paul. I've never paid that close of attention to the center bearings before to note a difference. Now I'm curious as to how much technology changed, or didn't, over the years for Turntable center bearings

Is it known who built the turntables for the C&C? Was it the V&T shops?

Cheers,

Curtis F.
Curtis S. Ferrington
Train Nut

Brian Norden

Post by Brian Norden » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Good evening.

I did not see Paul until he joined us for dinner on Sunday and then never thought about asking about the plans. I may send him an email.

I'm not all that sure about the origin, etc of the C&C turntables. The one at Candelaria was relocated from Silver Switch on the V&T -- this was after the abandonment of the line to Silver City. The local newspaper noted that it came from the V&T and Charlie Siebenthal then identified the actual location.

There were few turntables on the C&C. Appears they were installed only were there was not the space to install turning wyes. There were wyes at Hawthorne, Soda Springs (Sodaville), Belleville and Junction. Turntables at Mound House, Summit, and Laws. Later the SP installed one at Owenyo (1917-20 era). There are reports that the Laws one was relocated to Hammil and them back to Laws; and along the way rebuilt with all new timbers. But the 1909 employee timetable lists turntables at both Hammil and Laws Then none at Hammil and then later a wye there.

I would expect a wooden turntable to have a life expectancy of about 25-33 years. I'm not sure what the SP/ICC were figuring at the time of the valuation. Water tanks were 50 years at that time. So it would make sense that the SP rebuilt the remaining turntables with new wood and probably recycled the castings.

Castings could have come originally from the V&T shops or a local foundry that the V&T used. Later ones probably from stock in Sacramento (probably made in the foundry there).
Brian Norden

John Coker

Post by John Coker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:08 pm

Great posts. Turntables never received the maintenance they needed, partly because they were generally in remote locations. They worked fine for years, then one day, they didn't. The one I had experience with was in Durango. It had its problems. If there was a low spot on on the outer rail, it would get stuck there. A complaint I heard from old rails is one of the inner rollers would jam up and drag. The SP were not very fastidious in their care of the old C&C. The turntable at Owenyo developed a problem-it was never fixed. That may be why,when the n.g. terminal was moved there from Keeler in later years they would run locomotives backwards often. On one of the last runs with #9 to Laws, the table there settled enough for the pilot had to be removed-so they could get off the table.