PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

A Little Something We've Been Working On

A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Hello to all,

I'm going to attempt attaching photos of the angle iron pilot we've been working on. In the end, once it's cast up into brass, it will be attached to an On3 model of the NPC Sonoma.

What you're seeing is the first wax produced by the new mold we had made for this project. This wax will be attached to a tree that will have 12 of these pilots attached. This tree will be invested and cast into brass.

More info to follow if anyone's interested.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Andrew Brandon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:41 pm

That's a gorgeous piece of work, I look forward to seeing more!
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:36 am

Andrew,

How about this?

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:50 pm

Or this?

Jay Criswell

Postby CraigH » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:20 pm

Here's some additional images of parts associated with this project.

Essentially, the ideas was to make a "West Coast" version of the old Kodama 8-18c (Class 42 for the Colorado modelers). The specific locomotives being modeled from are "Sonoma" at CSRM and Eureka (Dan Markoff's baby).

What's really unusual about this project is that he's gone after the best available masters possible for replacement parts. The gentlman who mastered the Kodama happens to be a great friend of a lot of us and has become more than a bit interested in this project. He's provided access to the masters and, has remastered a few of them for greater utility and/or accuracy!

It's basically the ideal Baldwin 8-18c, the way the NWSL Spartain or the past attempts at doing this loco should have been done. A bare bones, stock Baldwin 4-4-0 typical of hundreds made for roads all over the U.S. and exported.

There's been a number of contributors helping out in the background for research materials, images of the surviving examples, baldwin blueprints, the works. They can announce themselves if they desire. I'm providing research materials, moral support, bad jokes, and decals.

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2648 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2647 - Copy.jpg

IMG_2646 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Twelve waxes ready for investing.

One huge issue I haven't really made clear, probably 90% of the parts you're seeing were cast from plastics or molds provided by Doug MacLeod. Without his assistance none of this would have been possible.

Jay
Last edited by Jay Criswell on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:45 am

Bad news for me. We didn't get the waxes to the caster in time so now I won't have the first 12 angle iron pilot test shots until probably Monday the 15th...........bummer.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:14 am

Well, we're sort of back on schedule. I'll pick up the first 12 pilot castings Sunday afternoon, bring them home, test fit them, take some photos and post the resulting pix.

I should have 12 to 15 more the following weekend along with 110 of the 24" wheels from Jerry Kitts cast up at the same time.

To help defer some of the costs I'll probably be selling some of the pilots separately. I've been told this may be a risky solution to my empty wallet syndrome because some,less than scrupulous, folks out there will try to knock off my efforts. I sure hope not. If someone does I guess it will be like the proverbial biting the hand that feeds you. They will be eliminated from any future parts.

Anyway, I hope to post pix tomorrow.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Well, I picked up the first set of pilot castings this afternoon. They are not quite as smooth as I would have liked but it looks like they can be cleaned up to make them presentable. Please keep in mind, this is the thicker of the two versions we're making.

I did try to test fit them to my pilot model and it fits fine.

We hope to have the first example of our finer profile version available for inspection by the middle of this coming week.

Attached are some pix I just took. Once again, the photos are not as clear as I'd like to see. I may actually read the instructions later tonight in an attempt to use a lower F stop. This should give me a greater depth of field. We'll see.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:16 am

As far as the angle iron pilots go, all I've been able to show is the thicker, more sturdy version but we've also been working on the more prototypical and fragile version. This second version is being done with higher resolution and because of it's very thin profile is not conducive to investment (lost wax) casting.

I'm attaching photos of the first run we did a few days ago. This run was done in wax and was intended to be burned out and cast into brass without using a mold. As you can see from the photos, they looked promising but when the technician tried to remove the supporting material they just fell into pieces. Our conclusion is, this model is just to fragile to be produced in wax.

Having come to that conclusion we decided to use FullCure 720. The last photo shows the results obtained using this material. As a side note, I was concerned about the apparent gaps and missing areas shown in the photo but I've been assured this is just an illusion. We shall see.

Our goal is to take these latest versions and have them cast into brass. If all goes well we should have the new pilots in hand within a few weeks.

Please stay tuned,

Jay
Jay Criswell

Next

Return to Model Railroading