PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

A Little Something We've Been Working On

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:16 pm

I received the tender truck side frames master today and I think they look good. I'll deliver them to the caster today. Hopefully, I'll have trucks within a few weeks. I do see a couple of areas I'm going to clean up in advance but not much. Without magnification I really can't see the issues.

Image
Image
Image
Image

Jay
Jay Criswell
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 am

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Well, a couple more updates.

First I picked up the first 6 sets of truck castings and I think they're going to work out just fine. Attached below are some photos of the assembled trucks. Most have the ribbed back wheels for now but I've ordered 100 sets of NWSL 24" non-plated nickle silver wheels. I will probably use the smooth backed wheels from NWSL when using the Grandt Line wipers. I also placed one set under an old Kodama tender to see how the look and I'm happy with them. None of the castings have had the casting sprues cleaned up so you can see remnants of them. A couple of the bolt heads are crooked also but are easily straightened. I also have to install the PSC brake hangers (why make my own if PSC already makes them) and install the wipers.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Next we have some of the oval panel cabs. As you can see, one of them has been placed on a Glenbrook boiler but they'll fit the 8-18Cs also. None of these cabs have been cleaned up yet and there are a few flaws (a couple of small pockets on the cabs and such). All are easily fixed.

Image
Image
Image
Image

More to follow,

Jay
Jay Criswell
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 am

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 am

Progress is slow but we're still moving forward. Attached is the first test shot of our etchings for the Baldwin tenders.

Image

The dual chamber water pump masters should be completed this coming week.

After that we pretty much have all the pieces & parts (except the decals).

Jay
Jay Criswell
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 am

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Beautiful work. I like the detail inclusion of the corner being a separate piece (as it should be!).
I cannot wait to see the first fully finished model.

I haven't heard from Craig in a while, any update on the decal status?
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
User avatar
Andrew Brandon
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: Grass Valley, Ca

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback. The half round beading should be fun to place around the top of the flare but, to me, it's the only way to get it right.

I talked to him a few weeks ago. I'd kind of like to talk to you about said conversation.

Jay
Jay Criswell
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 am

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Haven't posted in a while but we're still making progress.

We got the master for our dual chamber water pumps from Terry Van Winkle the other day. Vulcanized mold has been made and I should have the first batch of castings this weekend. Having said that I'll have spare pumps & other parts available for sale at O Scale West.

Anyway here's a couple of photos of the pumps still on their sprues;

Image
Image
Image

More to follow shortly,

Jay
Jay Criswell
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 am

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Not a lot of news but I did get my first batch of dual chamber water pumps back from the foundry yesterday. I think they look pretty good and fit exactly like they're supposed to on the Kodama and the 8-18Cs I'm building.

Thanks to Terry Van Winkle and David Sciacca for the excellent work on getting these little pumps completed.

Front side (still on the sprue)
Image

Backside (still on the sprue). The square peg solders to the frame.
Image

A pile yet to be trimmed from their sprues.
Image

I'll be bringing some extra examples (along with the Baldwin trucks we did) to O Scale West. I should be sitting at the Protocraft tables. Please stop by and take a look.

Jay
Jay Criswell
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 am

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed May 06, 2015 6:49 pm

Well it's been a while for sure but I finally made some progress on my 8-18C (Sonoma) project. I received the corrected tender etchings today from Jimmy Booth and they are simply outstanding. I took some photos of the etchings just prior to taking the majority of them the shop to have the flares formed. It took a while to get them but Jimmy had to make some critical changes to get the rivets corrected.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Now if I could just get the decals.

Jay
Jay Criswell
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 am

Previous

Return to Model Railroading

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron