PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

A Little Something We've Been Working On

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 pm

I know it's been awhile but I think we've finally got the angle iron pilot right. It's been a real struggle but these latest examples look like the pilot I've been trying to produce. I hope to have these examples cast this coming weekend. If they turn out as nice as I'm predicting we can start moving forward on the Baldwin 8-18C.

More to follow.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Dwight Ennis » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Looks real nice Jay, and good to see progress. Heck, doing one of these in 1-1/2" scale wasn't easy. hehehe I can imaging trying to do in 1:48th scale. :)
Dwight Ennis

Postby Jay Criswell » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Well, it ain't O Scale but it looks like we're going to try making the finer Baldwin Angle Iron Pilot in 1:20.3. The guy running the prototyping machine says the example he printed looks really good. He's going to send it to me so I can see about making a mold and having them cast in brass.

He wants one for his Bachmann American.

I heard rumors some other folks might want one also.

More to follow.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:02 pm

I got the latest batch of pilot castings back yesterday and they look better than any of the previous versions. They're not perfect but we're getting close. As you can see in the photos I went ahead and attached one of these latest castings to my pilot deck to check the fit and I'd say, they fit just fine. Next I'll add the bracing and have the double articulated draw bar printed and cast up.

Following this I'll go ahead and attach the running boards.

More to follow,

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:03 pm

I received the 1/20.3 Baldwin Angle Iron Pilot from Terry today. Compared to 1/48th Scale it looks huge. I'm trying to figure out if there will be enough interest in this pilot to justify the expense of making a mold and having duplicates cast. If there is enough interest I will proceed.

Any 1/20.3 modelers on this site?

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby amdaylight » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Greetings,

Yes I model in both On3, and Fn3. I have two Accucraft 4-4-0's one painted in SPC dark green and the other in basic black that I want to re-detail at some point to Eureka so the pilot would be most welcome.

Thanks
Andre :D
amdaylight

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Andre,

I'll put you down for one or two. Please keep in mind, if they don't turn out really nice or you change your mind, for whatever reason, I'm okay with that. I don't want to handle this like a high end "Reserved Model".

I guess I'm just hoping if 12 people want one and I use that figure for figuring the cost I can actually sell the 12.

Anyway, thanks for the show of interest.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 pm

After working on the pilot for so long it's kind of nice to get back to actually working on the model. I attached the running boards today. I'm trying to make the cab & running boards removable. This will facilitate the painting & decals much easier.

The following shows photos of 5 pre-assembled frames, 4 boilers and 4 cylinders. All will be cast in one piece in brass or nickle silver (some boliers). This makes for easier assembly and stronger parts.

More to follow,

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:15 am

Just returned from Dave Sciacca's with the latest batch of castings and most turned out great.

This is a test fit of the Baldwin Angle Iron Pilot to Terry Van Winkle's Bachmann Fn3 American. He's also fabricating a curved replacement deck to mate up with the pilot.

The first test casting of the Fn3 pilot.

A couple more Fn3 pilots (shortened to mate up better with the Bachmann) and the first batch of double articulated draw bars. These will be cast up and ready for assembly later this coming weekend. We also have the same draw bars in 1/48 but they're so small I didn't bother taking a picture of them.

Frames cast in one piece along with five boilers (cast in bronwhite trying to simulate Russian Iron). All are yet to be cleaned up. I should get a bunch more plastics from Doug MacLeod today. Without his help and parts this project would never started. He is my Yoda!
Last edited by Jay Criswell on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Criswell

Postby Solomani » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:09 am

Those F scale angle iron pilots are looking quite nice! I have two of the bachmann 4-4-0's #4 the Eureka and one in Lake and Russia Iron I plan to make into #5, the Palisade. At what year did those two locomotives get their angle iron pilots?

John
Solomani

PreviousNext

Return to Model Railroading