PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

A Little Something We've Been Working On

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:07 am

John,

Without knowing the specifics of either engine I would say, if they had an angle iron pilot it would have been an "As Built" feature. I'm not saying it never happened but, I know of no loco that had this pilot as a replacement.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Solomani » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Jay,

We may have found a first! I saw a photo of E&P # 5 on page 98 of Myrick's "Railroads of Nevada and Eastern California" Volume 1 that shows the #5 with a wooden pilot and on page 102 it has an Iron pilot. I note that the engine looks much newer in the page 102 photo so perhaps it came with the iron pilot and had it replaced at some point with a wooden one.
-John
Solomani

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:59 am

E&P #4 and 5 were delivered with iron pilots per the spec sheet. The photo on page 102 is indeed a very early shot as it is still wearing Baldwin lettering.

I do wonder what the story with that flat smokebox front is.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Solomani » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:07 am

Solves that little dilemma. Now to the flat smokebox...
Solomani

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:17 am

As Andrew states, it's no real dilemma, that's how there were built. Because of it's fragile nature the angle iron pilots needed constant repairs. Because of this, I believe, most railroads/shops just changed them out.

I've been told the smoke-box was damaged early in the little locos life and the replacement flat front was built by the local shops.

We have both pilots for the 8-18C and the original smoke box front for the Glenbrook. We're trying to adapt our angle iron pilot to the Glenbrook model but haven't finalized the mockup yet.

For Sonoma, we now have all the one piece frames, running boards and nickle silver boilers cast up. This statement may be slightly confusing. The cab, sans roof, is a one piece casting, so is the frame, the running boards are another one piece casting as are the boilers. I will try to post photos of these parts and how the interlock for ease of assembly later today after I pick up the Glenbrook one piece frame and two piece boiler.

Please note: The Glenbrook frame wasn't cast this weekend so I can't show those photos. Attached below are various parts & pieces for the Sonoma. None of the parts have been finished to point of being ready for assembly so you will see bits of flash & sprue material.

One piece frames for the Sonoma in On3

Same frames

One piece running boards

Cabs

Parts put together temporarily

Boilers

More parts slipped together temporarily

Misc parts

24" Nickle Silver wheelsets waiting to be machined - these were cast from Foothill Models plastic wheels

Drivers and tires waiting to be machined

And we can't forget my favorite pilot

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:05 pm

Just for fun here are some pix of the double articulated draw bar mounted to our angle iron pilot.
Please make note: the pilot in the photo is one of the early castings and is nowhere nearly as nice as the ones we're doing now

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:18 pm

I was asked to post the photo which shows the On3 Baldwin Angle Iron Pilot nest to the Fn3 version. The Fn3 isn't in production yet. Hopefully within a month, or so.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Making progress but not quite as fast as I'd like.

Terry's having 12 more pilots cast and working on the correct tender trucks. Hope to have spare pilots for the On3 model for O Scale West along with the masters for the Fn3 pilot and deck.

We got the number & builder's plates today. Attached below are photos of the plates with just quick wipe with black paint. Lots of work to get them right but they should look nice when done.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:30 pm

The latest update is filled with sad news. Because of copyright issues we won't be able to include Eureka or Palisade and Eureka & Palisade (the railroad) on our decal sheets. It's really too bad, I think it would have made a nice model. Well actually, we can do the model just not the decals.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby CraigH » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Decal update:
Nearly done designing the artwork. Just a few bits to add...like drop shadowing to the Colorado names and an alternate striping for the cylinder heads.

The sheet will have at least 6 colors and gold.
One set will include 2 sheets.
Designed for O Scale (On3/30) locos.
Note: The background color is only for display so we can see the white elements.
2013_Criswell_On3_Style_1_DecalTEST600.jpg
HDS Decal Project, Artwork by Craig Hoefer.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, 2013.
Resolution has been reduced from the original.

Everything is designed to fit the Kodama and should fit the NWSL Spartans well...(if detailed with the parts designed for the Kodama)...basically it's all in the PSC Catalog). Keep in mind, a lot of these parts have been recast by Doug and Jay and are a hell of a lot better than what PSC sells these days from worn out molds.

I'm guessing but the key decals should fit similarly sized early C-16's and the like too as there were a lot of common parts with the 8-18's, etc.

I've been having some of the most knowledgeable folks around, basically the expert's experts, scrutinize the artwork. In the end we'll have the most up to date, complete, and accurate decals possible with today's decal technology.

If anyone sees anything suspect, spelling, proportions, etc. I need to hear about it now so they can get wrapped up and submitted to MicroScale.

There is NOT an option to add new material, road names, etc. as that adds a massive can of worms and like with the PSC/Iron Horse effort several years ago, every road and loco name ever created WILL be requested.

Have fun!
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

PreviousNext

Return to Model Railroading