PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

A Little Something We've Been Working On

Re: A Little Something We've Been Working On

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:02 am

Craig,

If those decals don't get people excited about this project nothing will. Shoot, they even get me more fired up.

I haven't posted anything in a while because I've been busy working on other projects that help fund this one. As far as recent progress, we now have most of the parts cast up including correct water valves, the proper tender stays and bolsters for the lead truck. The remaining parts to be made are, fenders, dual chamber water pumps and drive tower w/gears (I'm working on these), tender shell & floor (Jimmy Booth is helping me with these), and tender trucks (Terry Van Winkle is tasked with creating masters). There are a few remaining back head pieces & parts but they aren't a big deal.

Once all the parts are ready I'll start assembly & finalizing reservations. I do have a list of people interested in obtaining casting sets, kits with completed mechanisms, ready to run but unpainted models and models completed with paint & decals. Guess I need to keep interested folks informed of the progress.

Anyway, love the work you've done and I look forward to the completed decal sets.

Jay
Last edited by Jay Criswell on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Criswell

Postby Loco112 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:13 pm

They do look nice!
Create projects so fantastic they inspire others to undertake even greater projects.
Loco112
Loco112

Postby dsp&p_fan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Those sure would look great on a Cincinnati Northern #1, Warren County (Miami Valley RR #1 in the Baldwin Spec book)...

Very nice workmanship both on the 8-18Cs and the decals.
Last edited by dsp&p_fan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsp&p_fan

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:25 pm

I was a big proponent of ditching the D&RG stuff all together and putting in some of the odd balls, but alas, it isn't my project and money makes the world (and projects) go 'round. ;)

Jay, Craig and the others have done an incredible job bringing these wonderful items to the market. I have a few of the parts that have been made and they're incredible, I need still more and am looking forward to the decals.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Jay Criswell » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:51 am

Hey everybody,

Things are going slower than I'd like in regards to moving ahead with our little project but we're making some progress.

The tender trucks have been printed and will be inspected for accuracy, fit, and ease of assembly. These trucks will be cast brass using the conventional lost wax process. What you'll see in the attached photos are the cad renditions, produced by Terry Van Winkle, and the first run prints. Once approved new prints will be produced that are 4 1/2% to 5% oversize. These prints will have sprues incorporated and be burned out then cast in bronze. These bronze castings will become the masters used for making vulcanized rubber molds. Please also note, the first drawings show the truck prior to adding some details and also reflect a flat journal cover. The later drawings have the slanted journal covers and all details. The brake beams and hangers will be body mount type and attached to the trucks via brass wires soldered to the tops of each bolster.

Because I don't want to install wipers on the loco all electrical pickup will be done using Grandt Line wipers mounted on both side of the truck bolster (the drawings only reflect one). The tender will have the same polarity as the loco. Using this approach we should eliminate the issue of shorting out between the tender & loco. This will also allow for double heading without the same problem of shorts between two engines.

As a side note, the tender etchings being developed by Jimmy Booth (Glacier Park Models) are coming along quite well and we hope to have some samples soon.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby dsp&p_fan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:44 pm

It looks nice. Almost a shame to hide them under a tender ;)
dsp&p_fan

Postby Solomani » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Still planning on the F scale pilot?

-John
Solomani

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:43 pm

John,

Terry Van Winkle is almost finished with the master. To make it better he removed all the bolts & rivets so he could insert machined pieces. The detail will be far better than what you see in the photos.

Speaking of photos, I took a set of truck prints & had them cast up. The following photos show the results. Please keep in mind, the masters for these On3 trucks will be nicer (higher resolution). Also please note, I cast up a bunch of Foothill Models Works 24" wheels with ribbed backs and you'll see a set in one of the trucks. The other set has over the counter NWSL wheel sets. I'll probably just use the NWSL wheels because the ribbed back wheels may not be the best for electrical pickup with the wipers. Speaking of wipers you can clearly see the 4 wheel pickup through the wipers. For now I'm routing the wires through the bolsters.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:04 pm

I know it's been a long time since I posted any updates on our little loco but I'll post some photos today in an attempt to get caught up. I'm starting to feel like the proverbial dentist, you know, it's like pulling teeth sometimes when trying to get things done.

The first photos are the masters for our Baldwin tender trucks. What you see is the master for the two piece bolster followed by one side frame. There is supposed to be two side frames but one was lost at the foundry so Terry has to print another set. This re-print will be cast, with the sprue included, in brass. Once I have a complete side frame master we'll make vulcanized rubber molds and cast numerous pairs. Some for use on our loco's tender & some for resale.

The second batch of photos show the new Baldwin Oval Panel cabs. These plastics were done by Doug MacLeod. I'm trying some new with this cab by making the molding part of the roof. These will be cast in brass also. The cool thing with these cabs is, they'll fit the PSC/Kodama 4-4-0s as a retrofit along with the locos I'm building (4-4-0s) and the 2-6-0 Glenbroooks that we'll make after the Americans.

As far as the tenders themselves, Jimmy Booth (Glacier Park Models) is helping me with these and should have an example to me within the next week or two. These etchings will include the tender wrapper, tender deck, tender floor, & the two corner pieces required with the flare. The other parts, such as, the tender stays, water valves, tool boxes, water hatch, coupler mount, 1/2 round beading, etc., have already been obtained. Tender frames will be fabricated using K&S brass.

Jay
Jay Criswell

Postby dsp&p_fan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:55 pm

The cab is gorgeous. I particularly like the oval panel...I had a miserable time fabricating those in styrene for older passenger car projects. It certainly does seem, as you've indicated, that the early stages of a project are fun and rapid, but then it slows down and feels like pulling teeth.

Michael
dsp&p_fan

PreviousNext

Return to Model Railroading