UV&P #8 in On30

Gunslinger87

UV&P #8 in On30

Post by Gunslinger87 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:08 am

Ok, I started a thread in the Prototype locomotives section requesting more info on the United Verde & Pacific moguls, though I think I should have posted here first. Been a while since I last posted on the forum.

Anyway, I recently acquired the book "Narrow Gauge To Jerome: The United Verde & Pacific Railway" and it has inspired me to build a model of UV&P #8.
download/file.php?id=604&mode=view

Although the prototype was a 3' gauge locomotive I would like to model the engine in On30 gauge, seeing as that is my gauge of choice. Other than the gauge I would like to model as closely to the prototype as possible. I don't have a lot of information on the prototype, however, and I would like to get some more info on the engine. I know that she had 43" diameter drivers and the drive wheel based was 8'. But that's about it. I don't know her boiler diameter, overall length, ect...

Now I have acquired an issue of the Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette featuring draws of UV&P #5 to aid in the build/design process. How similar are these locomotives to each other? I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks again!

John Coker

Re: UV&P #8 in On30

Post by John Coker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:27 am

Gunslinger- These Baldwins were in my fading memory almost identical. They had at least 5 of them, and they most of them had those distinctive tall sand domes. A few of these engines were delivered as Vauclain compounds, but were all converted to simple. They also had a Walschearts valve kit applied to them. Incidentally it is quite similar to the application on the D&RGW inboard class K-27s. Though 30" railroads of any size were rare in the USA they were more common right across the border in the northern states of Mexico. On30 is easy and cheap to model, compared to On3.