PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Bachmann 4-4-0 for the Carson and Colorado

Re: Bachmann 4-4-0 for the Carson and Colorado

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:46 am

John,

I've never seen or heard of one myself. In the past I even had trouble finding that stack in HO scale.
The good news is that the CSRM Library has a drawing for Genoa's sunflower stack.

California State Railroad Museum. 754 L 113 Mar. 20, 1979 Smoke stack: sunflower smoke stack. Used on: V&T steam locomotive 12 "Genoa". 22 x 34 Pencil on paper. ID 36167

Other Corporate Name:
Virginia & Truckee

Andrew
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Solomani » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:55 am

The Baldwin spec sheet lists a bonnet stack of 14 inch diameter which I expect is the diameter of the cylindrical portion and not the bonnet. I have not been able to find a online source for radley and hunter spark arrestors for a catalog or other drawings of a bonnet style (sunflower?) stack. Is the csrm drawing on line and I just can't find it? This might turn into my first forray into 3d printing.
Solomani

Postby Brian Norden » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Solomani wrote:Is the csrm drawing on line and I just can't find it?
CSRM has an index on-line. But not the documents, etc.

Anyone using the index needs to read about requesting their items of interest Some of the library collection is stored in the library building. Much more is stored off-site and requires advance request to retrieve the material. Last I knew the requests at CSRM were retrieved once a week.

One thing I have done from time to time is to request a copy of a drawing without seeing it first, paying the copy fee (can be done with a credit card) and being mailed the copy. This may take a couple of weeks, but it saves a trip to Sacramento and still having to waiting a couple of weeks for an oversize copy.

Off-site storage and advance retrieval requests is not unknown when dealing with research collections. Many of the university library special collections have a major portion of their collections off-site and require a day or two advance notice to pull these items.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Postby Solomani » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Merry Christmas everyone,

I will still be taking Brian's advise and ordering from the CSRM but in the mean time I found that the "Modern Locomotive Construction" book by J.G.A. Meyer has a basic drawing on page 498 and also, the 1906 Locomotive Dictionary has another line drawing.

Using those I drew a full scale cad model that I will need to redo as a scale model. The sheet metal is 12 gauge which scales to about .15 mm or 14 times too thin for Shapeways to print.

I will add the latches to the print job but I expect the screen will need to be done afterwards. The information I found shows a sieve of #8 mesh on the stack. This, even at full scale, is about 2.4mm holes and practically solid when scaled. Have any of you purchased and used commercial screen for model use on a smokestack?

I am very open to criticism/comments. For the rivet counters... does this photo make my rivets too big?

John
Attachments
Bonnet Smoke-Stack.jpg
14inch Bonnet smoke stack scaled.jpg
14inch Bonnet smoke stack.jpg
Last edited by Solomani on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Solomani

Postby ComstockFriend » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:18 pm

John,

Here is Glenbrook's stack, different style but same type construction:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

100_6943.JPG
And one I took at the V&TRRHS Symposium this October

John Friend
ComstockFriend

Postby Solomani » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks, that is a great photo to work with. I definitely need to add more sheet metal sections and rivets!

Any one know offhand what size rivets are being used here? The head size in particular?

John
Solomani

Postby ComstockFriend » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:44 pm

John,

Here are some more. I think the head size is about 5/16, I'll see if I can get the info from Chris DeWitt at NSRM.

100_6944.JPG

100_6945.JPG

100_6946.JPG

John Friend
ComstockFriend

Postby Randy Hees » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:58 am

Here is an image from the Baldwin Law book at Stanford (the law books set basic rules for how to build a Baldwin locomotive)

It provides the ratio of dimensions that Baldwin thought appropriate for a good stack

If the image thing doesn't work it can be viewed at https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wvINZjW6XpgLzEgHsy6iX9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Randy
Attachments
Baldwin Law stacks.JPG
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby Solomani » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Randy, Thank you so much for posting that sheet!

The Dimension of 'C' I am wondering if it is for the inside stack or the outside shell? Attached are the drawings I have been using.

-John
Attachments
Bonnet and Diamond stack.JPG
Bonnet Stack.JPG
Solomani

Postby ComstockFriend » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:31 pm

John Duffy,

From Chris DeWitt at NSRM:

"A lot of the stack from Glenbrook appears to be Baldwin with patches and repairs applied as needed. The original size rivets we removed are 1/4" diameter in the funnel. The 8 rivets in the bottom part that secure the tie down rods are 3/8" dia. The rivets that secure the screen hardware are 5/16" dia."

Here is a photo of the stack to smokebox casting:

100_6948.JPG

John Friend
ComstockFriend

PreviousNext

Return to Model Railroading