PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Bachmann 4-4-0 for the Carson and Colorado

Re: Bachmann 4-4-0 for the Carson and Colorado

Postby Solomani » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:23 pm

John,

Should I assume that those dimensions are for the shank/hole size of the rivet and not the head?

-John
Solomani

Postby ComstockFriend » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:59 pm

John,

I was afraid you would ask that! I assume Chris would use the shank size.

This chart from Hanson Rivets (I've bought a few from them) should give you the head sizes...

http://www.hansonrivet.com/w08.htm

John Friend
ComstockFriend

Postby James » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:14 am

Any progress? I'd like to see pictures of the completed model.

Sometimes the Baldwin specification sheets can be a bit frustrating. They often omit weights and barely ever mention boiler pressures until the late 1880's. They don't seem to list what style of cab was used (peaked or rounded roof). Or as this thread discussed, they use the generic "bonnet stack" term for all stacks that operate in that manner whether they have a cinder hopper or not. Nowdays we tend to call a bonnet stack with a hopper a balloon stack, and one without a sunflower stack. "Balloon stack" was certainly in use by then, but perhaps "sunflower stack" was not.

C&C 1-4 had 41 inch drivers. C&C 5 and 6 had 44 inch drivers. All six had fluted domes. C&C 7 and 8 also had 44 inch drivers, but had rounded domes.
James

Postby Solomani » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:08 pm

James,

No real progress since the last post. I shrunk it down to F scale and then started to modify it to make it durable enough to use. Mainly thickening the shell and doing away with the internal sheet metal.

About that point I got distracted with my new robot which should make the creation of some model parts easier. I constructed a 4x4 foot cnc router for wood, plastic and soft metal working. With a rotary attachment I could perhaps make the stack but I expect I will still send it off to shapeways once I get the scale model completed.

-John
Solomani

Postby Curtis_F » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 pm

James wrote:Sometimes the Baldwin specification sheets can be a bit frustrating....
C&C 1-4 had 41 inch drivers.

Case in point of how frustrating they can be, the #4 was delivered from the factory with 44" drivers. This is based on photographic evidence and Southern Pacific shop records.

There has to be a reason why this change wasn't noted on the spec sheet, but I can't say for certain what it would be. It may have been a request from the C&C late in the construction process. Regardless of how it came to happen there are some nice factory fresh photos of #4 and the clearance around the drivers definitely matches the #5 & #6, and does not look like the #1,#2, or #3.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
Curtis S. Ferrington
Train Nut
Curtis_F

Previous

Return to Model Railroading