PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Oahu Railway trucks! 3D printed

Oahu Railway trucks! 3D printed

Postby dsp&p_fan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 pm

First, I apologies for having not updated any of my threads for a long time. Thank you Andrew for pointing out that I should post something about my Oahu Railway trucks.

They are based on the 30t Oahu Railway shop-built truck. I selected it over the 30t Gregg truck as the shop-built trucks were used under a greater variety of rollingstock. For the 10t truck, to be developed, I'll go with the Gregg truck as it is correct under a greater variety of 10t cars.

On3

On3

On3...cutting the truck bolster at the side frames and making the brake beam hangers integral to them killed me. I'd like to do a correct, sprung version in time. I've tried to design the brake beams so that they can be modified to function. It was fun to draw the rail using prototype rail profile specs.

HOn3...test print was a little tight, the axles length was .01" shorter than the Kadee axles...so I fixed it.

Future projects in development:

3D printing is great, as it is allowing me to quasi-mass produce the parts I need for my layout, cover more prototypes in the same amount of time, and make them available to others. The quality is better than I was hoping for.

Here's my Shapeways store where they are available, but you've seen the pictures above...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/oahurailway

Also check out (not mine):
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/panamintmodels

Michael
dsp&p_fan

Re: Oahu Railway trucks! 3D printed

Postby dsp&p_fan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Still a work in progress...working on getting the letterer spacing, size, arch, etc correct.

1889...the Pearl...
dsp&p_fan

Postby dsp&p_fan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:38 pm

More of an arch...
dsp&p_fan

Postby dsp&p_fan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:22 pm

Continuing to tweak the design. I altered the angle of the brake shoes. Since this screenshot, I've adjusted the pedestals downwards. Getting close to a test print.

dsp&p_fan

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Beautiful work as always. I am looking forward to these, I've long needed a couple pair of them.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby dsp&p_fan » Tue May 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Progress has slowed. My project at work is in crunch time and I'm working longer hours. Throw in a brother moving, a sick grandmother, and the 765 season being here, and I'm really wishing I'd finished these in April. :cry:

I'm hoping that my test prints are on order before 765's big Memorial Day excursions around Horseshoe Curve.
dsp&p_fan

Postby Randy Hees » Wed May 15, 2013 3:19 pm

The work is spectacular...

I may need to talk to you about your drawings and the Carter Catalog (long over due update in progress...)

Of course family and work come first, sometimes too often but always first

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby dsp&p_fan » Sat May 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Managed to finally have a normal afternoon...which has allowed me to get some of the last remaining details created. On the left side, we have the Carter version of the brake beam guides (?). On the right, is the Oahu Railway's version. I decided to use 3/4" material instead of 1/4" for better durability. I also eliminated almost all of the clearance on the underside of the brake beam so that it'll be less fragile.

Never mind the ugly sprue coming out the end of the brake beam and curving up to the bottom of the truck frame. This is to help reinforce the assembly when it is cleaned and shipped.

Randy, shoot me an email at your leisure. It's really hard for me to talk on the phone (kids), but email is always good.

Michael
dsp&p_fan

Postby dsp&p_fan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:32 pm

OR&L 10t trucks built with Gregg hardware:

Above the name "GREGG" it printed "Patented" and below, in arched script, "New York". The Gregg print wasn't impressive, but the 0.010" tall "Patented" and "New York" knocked my socks off. These are On3. You can see the text if you look closely.

A major thanks to Jeff and Mark for helping me out immensely with prototype photos and a few very useful dimensions.

The HOn3 versions...the 30t is at left, the 10t is at the right.

They're a little fuzzy because I hadn't removed any wax before taking these photos

"GREGG" clearly printed in HOn3 on the 10t journal lids. I'm not certain if the "Patented" or "New York" printed. All 8 springs are present on the 10t trucks and there are no arbitrary walls. The trade off is that they don't have the traditional flexible frames, but I'd rather have this detail correct.

Michael
dsp&p_fan

Return to Model Railroading