PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Carter Bros/Oahu Railway Passenger Car Trucks

Carter Bros/Oahu Railway Passenger Car Trucks

Postby dsp&p_fan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm ready for any and all constructive criticism of my passenger truck drawing. For now, here is the Carter version for under my models of the original Oahu Railway coaches, as well as, someday, the Pearl.

Principal design concessions:
-Strap iron parts have been increased from 1/4" to 1/2" or even 1"ish dependent upon its susceptibility to damage, but typically left at 1/4"-1/2" where they have additional support. I'll probably leave out the smaller tie bars, such as running in between the bottoms of the pedestals, so that scale sized brass rods may be inserted.
-The leaf springs probably don't have much spring in them, although the other swing motion components have been designed so that they might function a little.
-I've eliminated the gap in between the bottom of the brake beams and the brake beam guide so that the guide will be less likely to brake.
-the journal boxes are a touch large to increase their strength.
-No hardware on the back sides of the side beams
-Thick round sprues to help protect the brake beams while printing/shipping.

Known issues:
-No nuts/bolts on the underside of the pedestals to connect with the bolt heads above the pedestals
-The bolt heads above the pedestals could be a little closer together
-Square or hex head nuts to secure the pedestals to the side of the truck beam? SP drawing shows Hex, as the Silver State has, but the Oahu Railway cars seem to have the more traditional square heads.
-The bolt heads on the journal lids are a touch large, but moving them down a size looks too small.

Critiques please...

dsp&p_fan

Re: Carter Bros/Oahu Railway Passenger Car Trucks

Postby dsp&p_fan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:49 pm

The test prints of each version have arrived. I need to make a few revisions to the design and add a couple simple braces which are missing, but they are free rolling and sitting next to my model of coach #3. Bye-bye D&RGW standard trucks :D

I'll post photos soon.
dsp&p_fan

Postby amdaylight » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Maybe I missed it but what scale are these?

Andre
amdaylight

Postby dsp&p_fan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:18 pm

The test prints are On3. They'll also be available in HOn3 and if there is demand, Sn3.
dsp&p_fan

Postby amdaylight » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Darn, I am building 4 Cater Brothers Coaches for my 1:20.3 live steam American. I have put the second pilot on the tender so I can run it backwards.

Andre
amdaylight

Postby dsp&p_fan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 pm

If you'd like some of the hardware in 1:20.3, I can do that. But full trucks would be very expensive because of the high volume of material.
dsp&p_fan

Postby Jeff Livingston » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm

How about side frames?

Jeff
Jeff Livingston

Postby dsp&p_fan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:20 pm

Sure! What are the preferred wheels for large scale? I understand that there are both conventional as well as ball bearing wheelsets, which should I design them for? What is the axle diameter (at the journals), the length, and the required clearance (e.g. NWSL shoulder axles require extra clearance in between the journal box and the wheel). 24" wheels? I can design them with a space in the frame to insert brass rod to increase the weight and rigidity.

Here's a few photos...
The packaging:

On sprues and covered in wax:

You can see the wax I hadn't yet removed in between the pedestal plates. The springs for these are separate, to allow me to experiment with using real springs.

The opaque white color and the "dust" on the parts are the not-yet-cleaned off wax.

I might increase the height of the lettering. It doesn't stand out as clearly as I'd like. It's all there and legible, even though you can't see it too well in the photo...

dsp&p_fan

Postby dsp&p_fan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:51 pm

These got put on a passing siding due to a hot box or something...but the 1-pair of the Carter version is now up on Shapeways...at last!!!

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2285877 ... erialId=61

Now I need to get the Oahu Railway version up and get the formula right for HOn3 trucks...
dsp&p_fan

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:36 am

I will be purchasing a set this weekend to test out. Your level of detail came out beautifully.
Now I just need to get John to scale his SPC coach body up to O scale...
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Next

Return to Model Railroading