PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Carter Bros. SPC Coach 42 in HOn3

Postby r3feetr » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:31 pm

I have recently tried my hand at 3D printing. Shown below is my first success, a HOn3 passenger car. I designed the car using the beta test version of STL file export from 3rd PlanIt model railroad CAD. Then I sent the file off to Shapeways for printing. I designed the model based on the Carter Bros. builder's photo of South Pacific Coast coach 42 and other drawings and photos. I attempted to make it reasonably accurate, however rivet counters will find discrepancies. The model is made in three pieces: the body and floor combined; the roof (it snaps in) and a group of details including the clerestory ventilators, stove stack, hopper stack, and brake cylinder. It is made for MicroTrains 102011 couplers and has PSC trucks. When Michael finishes the Oahu Carter Passenger Trucks in HOn3 I'll try a pair. I will complete the model with .015" wire handrails, truss rods, brake rods, and brake wheels.

HOn3 Carter Bros SPC Coach 42.png
r3feetr

Re: Carter Bros. SPC Coach 42 in HOn3

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Oh that's lovely.

I have been working on an illustration for that car as built. When I have a chance in the next few days I will finish it up and share it.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Rich Dunn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:27 am

John,

The coach looks great. I am currently working on a drawing for a driver center which I am going to convert to a 3D STL file, and then send off to Shapeways. This is my first Rapid Prototype project so it is a learning curve. I have worked with 2D CAD for years but am now trying to learn Alibre Design program for 3D.

How is the "stepping" from the 3D process on your coach? From the image it looks fairly smooth.

Keep pushing the envelope!
Rich Dunn
Rich Dunn

Postby r3feetr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Rich Dunn wrote:How is the "stepping" from the 3D process on your coach? From the image it looks fairly smooth.

The stepping is not bad. I'm using Shapeways best detail plastic, "Frosted Ultra Detail." There is a bit of stepping where the clerestory roof dips down but it's not too noticeable and easily sanded. I know what you mean about a learning curve. The coach took six printings and three different plastics to get it right. Now that I understand the process, and its limitations, new projects will go much easier. My biggest problem is realizing when the design is complete. Twice now I have submitted a design for printing only to later cancel the print because I realized I left something off. The current long lead times at Shapeways can be helpful that way.
r3feetr

Postby Randy Hees » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:16 pm

The car looks wonderful, but as a rivet counter, I would like to point out the car only used 4 rivets (maybe 12 depends on what year) in its construction... any guesses where?

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby Randy Hees » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:36 pm

It is one of 12 cars built on a single order for Oakland branch commuter service in 1880. The body is similar if not identical to earlier cars, both 1st & 2nd class going back to 1877...

I will work up a history of the class and a history of the body style...

I have done some paint work on car 39 9one of the 12) at OERM and 47 (a duckbill combine caboose built in the next order) and am working with Andrew

Randy
Randy Hees

Randy Hees

Postby r3feetr » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Funny you should mention caboose 47. I just modified my coach 42 by shortening it, removing the miller platform details, adding baggage doors, and changing the ends. I am about to submit it for test printing.

I am currently working on a baggage/express version, a baggage/mail/express version and a full length combine. All variations of my Coach 42.

In preliminary development are parlor cars San Francisco and Santa Cruz. And after that, if I'm still having as much fun as I am now, I'll try my hand at the bullnose roof cars.

Oh the 4 rivets, I'm going to guess the metal stove stack.

SPC47.png
SPC 47 about to be printed
r3feetr

Postby Randy Hees » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:17 am

John,

The "duck bill" cars, everything from 1876 to about 1882 used the same cross section and window repeat, so you are not making any compromises. The coaches come in two lengths, there are combines that are not cabooses. The SJ&SN caboose (late 1882) is really just a duckbill with a bull nose roof, but by 1885 or 1886 the newer cars are wider.

Of course the parlors are Jackson & Sharp and are completely different.

The rivits are in the couplers... two rivits for each knuckle coupler, 7 for each Miller draw head, early L&P didn't use rivits...

I would be happy to help you with any questions.

Randy
Randy Hees

Randy Hees

Postby r3feetr » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:20 am

Randy Hees wrote:The rivits are in the couplers... two rivits for each knuckle coupler, 7 for each Miller draw head, early L&P didn't use rivits...

Knuckle couplers? I am not aware that the SPC used knuckle couplers. Are you referring to a time when the SPC narrow gauge equipment was used elsewhere?

The focus of my layout is Summer of 1886 so the rolling stock needs to fit that time frame. However it also needs to couple/uncouple easily so I am using knuckle couplers as a substitute for both L&P and Miller draw heads.
r3feetr

Postby Randy Hees » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Working with the SPCRR collection I tend to think across years and users... but some L&P do use rivets... the difference being the spring capture style... early drawbars use a pin which passes through the spring follower plates and spring and is retained by pins and keys... Later a sturup which wraps around the spring and spring follower plates, and is riveted to the drawhbar.

Miller use a pin (at least in all cases I have found) but the Miller drawbar is riveted... top plates, bottom plates with the head, tailpiece and any spacers between... all held by rivets...

The coaches would have been built with Miller, converted by knuckle by knocking out the head piece from the Miller drawbar, and riveting in a new "Janey" style head. The cabooses were built with L&P, if on the SPng replaced by a SAM, replaced by knuckle later...

Randy
Randy Hees

Randy Hees

Next

Return to Model Railroading