PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Carter Bros. SPC Coaches 56-61

Carter Bros. SPC Coaches 56-61

Postby r3feetr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Here's a photo of the 3D test print of my HOn3 Carter Bros. SPC Coaches 56-61. Even though the design looked good on screen it wasn't until I printed it out that I noticed a few issues. For the eagle eyed there is a batten missing on one of the window posts. The roof is a shortened version of the one from my Jackson and Sharp Parlor car and I forgot to move the clerestory sides inward to get the proper roof overhang. Also, the roof is too short. Finally, one of the end doors is reversed. All in a days work. But it makes 3D printing expensive when I don't catch the errors before sending it off for printing.

In the background can be seen my Pacific Coast Oil tanks on top of flatcars. The tank was also a 3D printing project. Some of you might recognize the tanks as those that moved molasses from Santa Clara to the Union Distilling Company. The molasses came from the Spreckles Sugar Refinery in Salinas via standard gauge tank cars and was transferred to narrow gauge tank cars at Santa Clara. The distillery moved into the Lick Paper Mill in 1902. While I don't have proof positive I believe the molasses tanks were originally oil tanks. I have a January 1887 Oakland Tribune article that mentions the tank cars delivering fuel oil for the boilers of the Standard Sugar Refinery in Alvarado. In 1902 the Pacific Coast Oil Company Works moved from Alameda Point to Richmond and the narrow gauge oil tank cars became available for other uses.

John

Carter Bros. SPC Coach 56-61.png
r3feetr

Re: Carter Bros. SPC Coaches 56-61

Postby dsp&p_fan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Expensive, but exceedingly impressive!
dsp&p_fan

Return to Model Railroading