PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

SPC Fleet Needs Paint!

SPC Fleet Needs Paint!

Postby r3feetr » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:53 am

The attached image shows my 3D printed SPC fleet so far. All of these have at least been test printed. Now it is time to slap some paint on them and I need some help. Andrew's marvelous drawing of Coach 42 shows the latest information about paint but unfortunately it is Pantone colors. I am color blind so color is a bit tough for me to figure out. It doesn't help that Floquil colors are no longer available. What I need is bottled paint color names or formula using bottled paints. I will be using an airbrush to apply the paint. I model the SPC in 1886 prior to SP takeover of the SPC.

I am looking for recommendations for commercially available paints for:

Baldwin Olive Green and Planished Iron for the locomotive -

Passenger Coach/Baggage body and roof color -

Caboose body and roof color -

I'll probably use a Boxcar Red for the oil tank to match the flat car that carriers it.

Thanks very much in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

John

SPC Fleet Needs Paint.png
r3feetr

Re: SPC Fleet Needs Paint!

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:21 pm

John,

I do not have paint mix formulas for the colors, but I can provide you with some reference.
The following chart was assembled from Randy's notes on Coach #39 down at Orange Empire. Assuming your monitor is properly calibrated, the colors should come across correctly, but I recommend comparing the colors with a Pantone fan deck if you have one available.

I do not have a color chart for the cabooses yet.
Attachments
SPC-39-Layers.png
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Randy Hees » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:09 pm

It appears that the Carter Brothers used Tuscan as their freight car color. The SP paint color was much browner, close to the color of a Hersey chocolate bar. The change was by 1893 on the SPC... the big Sunset heralds are not found on Tuscan... only on the darker shade

Andrew posted the Car 39 paint card... It is representative of the coaches

The cabooses are different, first yellow, then red... SPC 47 is now in the car house without a tarp and I should be able to get Andrew the info to do a similar card for cabooses.

Planished iron (only SPC 1 had a russia iron jacket) can be done with Model Master Metalizer paints. I like burnt iron but others have their own choices. Baldwin green is very dark... nearly Brunswick green... so dark it looks black except in bright sun... you may want to lighten it several shades for a model.

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby r3feetr » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:01 am

Andrew and Randy,

Many thanks to you both for the paint information!

I hadn't realized that pre-SP freight color was Tuscan. The problem is that in model paints Tuscan seems to be different with each manufacturer. I'll figure out something.

Randy, regarding SPC 47 if you need any help getting the color info I would be glad to lend a hand.

Andrew, I do not have a Pantone fan deck but would like to purchase one. I find their website daunting. There are so many fan deck choices. Do you recommend a particular deck?

Thanks again,
John
r3feetr

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:31 pm

John,

This is the fan deck in question is the Pantone Color Bridge (Coated): Pantone Color Bridge (Coated)
The price is steep ($150), but it can be used to match the entire range of colors for future use. One piece of data that will be appearing more on the pages for railroads we cover will be color match information. You also get a download of their Color Manager software, which will give you a set of the swatches and other tools on your computer.

Pantone also makes a mobile app that is helpful for quick color matching and reference. I keep the app on my phone so I can do rough color matching when I am on the road. This option is cheap ($9.99), but you still have to worry about color registration issues with the device you are using and glare when using it outdoors of course.

For the color cards in the future, I will be posting them on the relevant railroad's page as PDF using the pantone colors called as such in the file. In theory, you should be able to take that file to a printing house and have it printed with the correct Pantone inks. When I do illustrations showing a piece of equipment, I print them in a similar fashion, but it would save people money instead of having to plunk down $150 for a color bridge.

Another option that I have not tried is ordering a plastic standard chip, which are $19.99 (each), but you can order just the specific color in question and have a durable reference piece. With that in mind, I haven't attempted this method so I am unsure what differences in color registration that might be encountered with them.
Last edited by Andrew Brandon on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed links
Andrew Brandon

Postby Randy Hees » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:42 pm

John,

I spent the afternoon with 47... I have paint notes to transcribe and send to Andrew to create a color card.

I also recorded the PMS numbers for a clerestory window sash from a earlier SPC coach that ended up on the Ilwaco.

We should get together at some time at the farm with all the samples at hand... others welcome of course... with a goal of creating an organized guide to our collective knowledge.

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby r3feetr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Randy Hees wrote:
We should get together at some time at the farm with all the samples at hand... others welcome of course... with a goal of creating an organized guide to our collective knowledge.

A "get together" sounds good. Being retired I can make myself available any day of the week. I look forward to seeing Andrew's color card for 47.

John
r3feetr

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:14 am

The card for 47 is finally complete, enjoy!
PDF versions of both cards will be available on the SPC page for modelers to download and print in the next week.
Attachments
SPC-47-Layers.png
Andrew Brandon

Postby r3feetr » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Andrew and Randy,

Thank you very much for the paint research and the color cards!

I bought a Pantone Color Bridge to help find the proper paint colors. Scalecoat PRR Dark Tuscan seems to be a spot on match for the early SPC Coach color Pantone 4979c.

I also like the look of Scalecoat PRR Brunswick Green for the SPC locomotives. I'm going to try Randy's suggestion of Metalizer Burnt Iron for the boiler jacket.

Now I need to find a paint for the 1882 Caboose 47 yellow.

Thanks again!
r3feetr

Postby Andrew Brandon » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Both color cards are now available for download from the SPC page. They have posted as PDF files in CYMK color, scaled to fit an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper at 300dpi.

After some testing, the best practice for printing the file will is to use a quality piece of glossy paper. The Pantone colors we match to are printed on coated stock, using glossy paper when printing these cards is vital. On a color laser printer it is advised to disable any toner savings options before printing. I printed the card for Coach #39 on an HP Color LaserJet CP4020 today and the color registration was excellent. Curtis Ferrington reported his test print on an Epsom color laser that had not been calibrated was extremely close to his Pantone color bridge.

I am not sure how well it will print from an ink jet, but again the quality of the paper matters.
Andrew Brandon

Next

Return to Model Railroading