Oahu Railway/Carter coachs

dsp&p_fan

Oahu Railway/Carter coachs

Post by dsp&p_fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:43 am

I am currently preparing a set of patterns for the standard Oahu Railway clerestory roofed coaches. I have a side and an end nearly ready. Before I start/complete the roof, I have two questions regarding roof details. Knowledge of Carter Bros cars helps, since the first few were from Carter and the rest were copies.

#1 Did they have air intakes on the underside of the roof at the platform? I'm inclined to add this feature, but if anyone knows that either coaches #1 or #2 (at Travel Town and HRS) didn't have it, I'll leave it off.

#2 Did these cars have tin, canvas, or some other type of roof? I'm inclined to texture the master roof's surface rather than each duplicate roof.

Thank you,
Michael

Brian Norden

Re: Oahu Railway/Carter coachs

Post by Brian Norden » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi,

I might be able to get some photos within the next few weeks. I just looked and I have some photos of the disintegrating end beams of the two cars at Travel Town. But none of the cars themselves.

Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Jeff Livingston

Post by Jeff Livingston » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:00 am

Michael,

Since there are none of the original OR&L Carter cars in existance it's impossible to say whether or not thay had intakes. None of the period photos shed any light on this question. The Carter clones built by the OR&L, like coach 1 and 2 did not have air intakes. The original Carter specifications are mute regarding intakes and roof covering but based on photographic evidence the roof was covered in canvas and likely had a felt layer underneath.

Jeff Livingston
Kaneohe, Hawaii

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff, it is great to see you here!

Michael

Brian Norden

Post by Brian Norden » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi,

I was able to get over to Travel Town and check out the Oahu cars. Also some digital photos of the cars, car ends, etc.
OahuCars.JPG
Here are the three Oahu cars at Travel Town.
The roofs currently have ordinary building style roofing paper. No idea what they had while in service.

There are no vents on the underside of the hoods over the platforms. I have photos of the other ends -- no vents.
OahuCoachEnd.JPG
This a view of roof over the platform of the coach.
By the way the combo has roller bearings!!
ComboTruck.JPG
Truck under the Combination car
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:34 pm

Brian, thanks for the awesome photos! The second and third are of precious, rarely photographed details that greatly influence construction.

As for the roller bearings... :shock:

I can't wait to read some of Jeff's further details on the Oahu Railway roster once he and the crew finish their research. I really hope that the popularity of the Oahu Railway (and really, all narrow gauges beyond the D&RGW/RGS) continues to increase.

Brian Norden

Post by Brian Norden » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:10 pm

Since you liked the photos, here are some others I took at the same time:
OahuCoachOtherEnd.JPG
Other end of Coach
OahuComboPassEnd.JPG
passenger end of Combine
OahuComboBagEnd.JPG
baggage end of Combine
Also see the next post.

Brian
Brian Norden

Brian Norden

Post by Brian Norden » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:17 pm

Here are some views taken a greater distance away to show the entire platform area. The platform end-beams are in poor condition.
OahuFullRearCoach.JPG
Full view of "rear" of coach. The tender is with the Stockton Terminal & Eastern #1.
OahuFullFrontCoach.JPG
The "front" end of the coach.
OahuFullRearCombo.JPG
Same general location but looking at the passenger end of the Combine.
Brian
Brian Norden

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:29 am

Based on your photos, I'm now under the impression that the sheathing above the panel above the window is actually sticks out an inch from the panel below it instead of being depressed an inch. A small detail that I would have gotten backwards.

Thank you,
Michael

Randy Hees

Post by Randy Hees » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:04 am

Hi Michael,

The two cars at Travel Town are OR&L copies of Carter cars... they are a much improved copy with heavier framing, but are visually very similar.

As far as I can tell the Carter Brothers didn't put vents in the clearstory ends. They generally used turne metal (a lead washed sheet iron) for roofs.

Randy Hees
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/