Oahu Railway/Carter coachs

dsp&p_fan

Re: Oahu Railway/Carter coachs

Post by dsp&p_fan » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Randy, do you recall the framing size? From looking in BoCNG, I gather that the M&SV combine had, effectively, 6"x8" side sills and 5"x5" center and intermediate sills. From the same source, that SPC #47 had 4"x6" cntr & int. sills, and 4"x8" side sills...with 6"x6" end sills.

Did the OR&L Carter Clones have 5"x6" sills or such?

Thank you,
Michael

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:34 pm

The roof is coming along nicely:

I'm not certain if it will be worth the effort to properly sheath the underside for the roof above the platform...it should have around a 2" slope down to the end and be sheathed with 2" T&G siding. I might just make it smooth and level...or just level.

Michael

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Below is the roof after sheathing. I still have some touch ups to perform and sheath the undersides of the ends before I can produce the mold. I'll probably produce a string of at least 4 of the coaches and decide which head end car to build (probably one of the combines, but possibly a baggage car). Once it is all ready, I'm going to use a modified roof casting to build a model of the Parlor car Pearl...one of the coolest narrow gauge cars ever built.

Jeff has provided great help in answering my question on the sill size.

Michael

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:34 pm

Excellent work! I can' t wait to see your model of Pearl.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

Randy Hees

Post by Randy Hees » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:41 am

Michael

The Carter Brothers also built a group of bull nose roof coaches for the SPC, nos. 49 - 61 in 1883/84 which may be very similar to the Oahu cars.

These were
8' wide inside, 8'11" over eaves
37'7" inside, 38' over end beam, 44' 2" in train
33' 6" truck centers
I believe these are 12 window cars (but am not sure)

At least two made it to the NWP (731 & 732), one still in service on the White Pass, several were used on the Lake Tahoe line.

There is a later series built by the Carter Brothers for NPC in 1893 with similar dimensions and lines, but had 13 windows.

Even if not exact you cars may be the best stand in models for those of us modeling some of the CA lines.

I am interested in a couple... maybe three...

Randy Hees
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:07 am

Randy, I'll have to look into those cars...see how close the details are. Maybe I'll find some additional info that could help with building these cars. Regardless, I enjoy studying passenger cars. If there are any characteristic details on these similar Carter Bros products, let me know and I'll evaluate whether it is something that I could help with.

My window farming for these cars is complete. I decided on fixed sashes which are added to the car sides after painting. (the back of the sash is flush with the back of the side casting), and then the interior wall will have the track for the moving window sashes to move. The interior wall casting will be double sided...the interior of the cars will be approximated based on various published photos...mostly in Next Stop Honolulu. Every 36' passenger car (including the Pearl and #64) has the same basic detail work on the inside (panels above the windows, detailed moldings above the posts)...obviously, #64 and the Pearl had much fancier finishes on top of these details. The panels are proportional to the height of the fascia...which I've estimated to be 6" on the clones and 8" on the Carters.

I've also noticed that the cars road on two slightly different truck designs...one had more prominent pedestals. The key photo is on page 283 of NSH...the car on the right has an 8" fascia and the lighter trucks. The car on the left has a 6" fascia, heavier trucks, and the belt rail stops around 24" before the end of the car. I am not aware of what the car on the left is, but I'm pretty sure the car on the right was built by Carter.

Michael

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:39 am

I found a photo of her:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1334030

She looks like she originally had 13 windows. On the end, I see the scars of end windows...and possibly some of the same sort of trim as the Oahu Railway cars. The fascia is taller and the clerestory window pattern is slightly different, but the roof contours are the same. I could definitely include some additional material along with the kits (or splice them myself) to help you closely approximate these cars.

Michael

Edit: I found a photo of #51 in BoCNG...I see small, arched windows. There are 12 windows (there was space for a 13th, but is sheathed over). I will probably develop suitable windows as part of one of my South Park projects...many South Park coaches had similar windows.

Randy Hees

Re: Oahu Railway/Carter coaches - trucks

Post by Randy Hees » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:51 pm

I suspect the heavier trucks you see are OR&L trucks, while the lighter are Carter.

Much of the OR&L designs are copies of Carter built better and heavier... for example the two cars at Travel Town.

Randy Hees
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:55 pm

I have cast three interior walls and three roofs for these cars. The interior walls are simplified versions of the prototype based on the published interior photos.

The master and the first two castings (#3 is curing in the basement)

I like the sheathing...and it turned out well on the castings.

The bottom interior of the roof is left open for the installation of lighting...the grove at the end, just before the sheathing on the underside of the roof end, is where the end castings fit. There is a thin lip which runs the length of the roof in between these grooves...they eliminate any gap that is present between the roof and the sides and laterally align the roof on the body.

You can see that lip a little better here, along with the end contours.

I'm looking forward to having a fleet of cars built from these castings!

Additionally, I modified my end master....the right window sill was sloped...one side was 1" higher than the other side. Now they are level. I've cast two of the new ends.

Michael