Barney & Smith 40'6" coaches

Andrew Brandon

Re: Barney & Smith 40'6" coaches

Post by Andrew Brandon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Michael,

The V&T constructed the following passenger cars that I know of:

Standard Gauge, V&T:
Caboose/Coach #1 - 1869 (VC) aka "Julia Bullette" (sic.)
Caboose/Coach #2 - 1869 (VC)
Caboose/Coach #5 - 1871 (VC)
Caboose/Coach #6 - 1871 (VC)

Narrow Gauge:

C&C 1 - 1882
C&C 2 - 1882
C&C 7 - 1883
C&C 10 - 1896

In addition the V&T built their own replacement trucks for the following passenger cars:

Standard Gauge, V&T:

Baggage #1
Baggage #2
Coach #3
Coach #4
Caboose/Coach #9
Caboose/Coach #10
and others...

In addition, NCNG RPO #9 (ex C&C) seems to have been riding on V&T built trucks, check the image in the Image Gallery.
There seems to have been a second set of V&Tesq looking trucks which wind up under Coach #7.
Attachments
no_7_2.jpg
V&Tesq trucks
no_7_3.jpg
On Carter Trucks
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:34 pm

So V&T trucks strongly resemble B&S trucks. Quite interesting. At least the NG ones followed the delivery of the B&S built passenger cars. Now, it gets a little funny from there...according to a letter in the Yerrington Papers that Dale Darney quotes in message #2533 on the SPNG yahoo group: Three extra sets of trucks were ordered from B&S and used under V&T built cabooses #1 & #2, as well #7. Certainly, that is not without precedent.

Elsewhere in the group, the discussion mentions that the trucks under the car are not matched. The question was raised as to whether one was a Carter product...the second was cited as V&T. In both photos, the pedestals appear to say V&T. With the photos you've posted above, I don't think we see Carter products under the surviving #2.

I based my car construction log on Ferrell's book. I know he isn't a match for railroad specific historians, so I almost included a disclaimer in my post about it :)

What did the pedestals look like on the predecessor V&T built cars? I can see that Construction Car #8, as of 1937, had trucks of a different design with different (simpler) pedestals. Do we know that they actually built the trucks, rather than buying them. I'd suspect that since the V&T built C&C cars were outfitted with B&S trucks, they hadn't yet built their own passenger car trucks as of 1882.

I'm very interested in seeing where this rabbit hole leads...

Michael

Brian Norden

Post by Brian Norden » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:09 pm

The trucks under C&C V&T-built cars 1, 2, and 7 were all purchased from Barney & Smith.

B&S trucks (more or less) still exist under baggage car (ex-combine) #3 now stored in the back of Nevada State RR Museum. I saw "more or less" because there appears to be replacement pedestals and who what other parts.

Undoubtedly, the C&C/V&T ended up with patterns for various replacement parts for these trucks. It only makes sense that if the V&T was to make new trucks they would base them upon the B&S design.

The Southern Pacific Pacific made drawings of the various parts of the trucks and at least some of these are now in the collection of the California State Railroad Museum:

Southern Pacific. 3212 / PSC Dec. 29, 1902 Wrought iron details, C&C narrow gauge passenger car truck.
Southern Pacific. 3213 / PSC Dec. 29, 1902 / May 4, 1915. Narrow gauge passenger car truck, brake system, wrought iron details.
Southern Pacific. 3214 / PSC Dec. 29, 1902 Cast iron details, C&C narrow gauge passenger car truck with brakes.
Southern Pacific. 3215 / PSC Dec. 29, 1902 Steel details, C&C narrow gauge passenger car truck.
Southern Pacific. 3647 / PSC Jul. 30, 1903 Elliptic spring, Carson and Colorado narrow gauge passenger car truck.
Southern Pacific. 3896 / PSC Dec. 26, 1903 Narrow gauge passenger car truck. Used on: Carson and Colorado Railway.

If I remember correctly, the 3896 drawing is a general arrangement drawing.
Brian Norden

dsp&p_fan

Post by dsp&p_fan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:21 am

Thank you Brian. Now, I need to get copies of at least the general arrangement plan. Beyond just curiosity, I want to equip my On3 Barney & Smith cars with the correct trucks.

Michael
Brian Norden wrote:The trucks under C&C V&T-built cars 1, 2, and 7 were all purchased from Barney & Smith.

B&S trucks (more or less) still exist under baggage car (ex-combine) #3 now stored in the back of Nevada State RR Museum. I saw "more or less" because there appears to be replacement pedestals and who what other parts.

Undoubtedly, the C&C/V&T ended up with patterns for various replacement parts for these trucks. It only makes sense that if the V&T was to make new trucks they would base them upon the B&S design.

The Southern Pacific Pacific made drawings of the various parts of the trucks and at least some of these are now in the collection of the California State Railroad Museum:

Southern Pacific. 3212 / PSC Dec. 29, 1902 Wrought iron details, C&C narrow gauge passenger car truck.
Southern Pacific. 3213 / PSC Dec. 29, 1902 / May 4, 1915. Narrow gauge passenger car truck, brake system, wrought iron details.
Southern Pacific. 3214 / PSC Dec. 29, 1902 Cast iron details, C&C narrow gauge passenger car truck with brakes.
Southern Pacific. 3215 / PSC Dec. 29, 1902 Steel details, C&C narrow gauge passenger car truck.
Southern Pacific. 3647 / PSC Jul. 30, 1903 Elliptic spring, Carson and Colorado narrow gauge passenger car truck.
Southern Pacific. 3896 / PSC Dec. 26, 1903 Narrow gauge passenger car truck. Used on: Carson and Colorado Railway.

If I remember correctly, the 3896 drawing is a general arrangement drawing.