PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Backhead details on 8-22C, 4-4-0

Backhead details on 8-22C, 4-4-0

Postby NCNG#7 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:07 am

While waiting for brass castings to build up the brake rigging, I started detailing the backhead of my NCNG #7, 8-22C.
I do not have any information about the particular prototype, but took the diagram for NCNG#5 in the PSC-catalog as a guideline. In this diagram I find the valves for train and engine air brakes, but no control gauges for this purpose.
The only gauges visible are 2 on top of the boiler as steam pressure gauges.
To make the brake valves credible it would be great if someone could give me information how may gauges are needed for "operating" the brake systems.

On the picture you see the stage of work I am currently in. The plumbing for the air pump, generator is not done yet and the lubricator will be mounted as very last not to obstruct the areas behind it.

Will keep you posted about further progress

Florian
Attachments
P1040397.JPG
NCNG#7

Re: Backhead details on 8-22C, 4-4-0

Postby Andrew Brandon » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:45 am

I glanced through my collection and I do not seem to have a shot of #7's backhead. I will ask Herman if he's got something the next time I see him.
In all fairness, your detailing looks excellent and I doubt most people will recognize the difference between #5 and #7's backhead.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Re: Backhead details on 8-22C, 4-4-0

Postby NCNG#7 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:09 am

Andrew,
thank you very much for browsing your collection in search for shots of #7's backhead. I highly apperciate your effort doing this and asking Herman by the next occasion.
Thank you for your kind words about my work. You are definitely right, that there will be few people able judging the differences of #5 and #7. (In this respect, I assume Herman is more or less the only one who has seen #7 in real life.)
Due to this fact, I could have left everything as is, but while working on it, curiosity grew how the proper setup looked all about and eventually how these brake systems work.
As mentioned, I like to make my models "credible" in the way that there is no "non-sense" plumbing, rivets, NBW's etc. fit in size and purpose.
So I will proceed with other detailing work on the fireman's side and wonder what Herman says about the presence of gauges on #7 for brake control use.

Florian
NCNG#7

Return to Model Railroading