PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

James (Jim) Saylor : 1962 - 2011

For non-railroad related discussion.

James (Jim) Saylor : 1962 - 2011

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:57 pm

It is with a heavy heart that I relay word that Jim Saylor, long time caretaker of the Laws Railroad Museum has passed. He was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and had been battling it up until the end. Jim suffered a heart attack and passed away this afternoon, he was 49 years young.

I met Jim many years ago on a trip down to the museum at Laws. At the time I was working on my long abandoned narrow gauge survivor list project and made the trip down to photograph the equipment there. I hadn't talked to Jim all that much previously, my roommate at the time had sparked up a friendship with him. Upon meeting Jim it was obvious the love he had for the SPNG and for the area he'd grown up in. Since that first meeting I'd stayed in contact with him and enjoyed several wonderful conversations over the years. In the past few years I'd been in closer contact with him and he became a contributor here on PacificNG.

Jim had spent much of his time working on maps and drawings of the structures and changes to the Laws yard. His maps and drawings of the Laws yard are available in the Image Library in fact. Jim was fortunate enough to bear a slight resemblance to Henry M. Yerington (Superintendant of the V&T and C&C), on special occasions he'd play the part and love every moment. He was a treasure trove of information and he so loved the SP, his passion for it was so strong, that he'd often find himself in disagreements. Despite his gruff exterior, Jim was an honest, friendly and caring friend. When Jim was diagnosed earlier this year, I began chatting with him more frequently to see how he was doing, engage in lively discussion and wish him well. Having just enjoyed a conversation with just over a week ago, I was shocked to receive the news of his passing.

I'll miss my friend, while I didn't know him as well as others did it hasn't been easy to say goodbye.
jim in costume.jpg

Jim didn't want tears when he passed, he wanted us to celebrate his life and his spirit. The world could use more men with his drive and passion.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Re: James (Jim) Saylor : 1962 - 2011

Postby ComstockFriend » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:36 pm

He will be missed.
ComstockFriend

Return to Off Topic