PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

A couple map updates on the Horizon

Q&A for creating Google Maps! PacificNG from it's inception has wanted to create a unique means of exploring the Narrow Gauge ROWs. Here is where we can all help out.
Forum rules
All maps created from this Forum and through PacificNG.com remain the intelectual property of the map creator. Please be adults and do not steal work for outside publication without permissions from the said participants and PacificNG.

A couple map updates on the Horizon

Postby Andrew Brandon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:46 pm

I am going to be finishing up my NCNG map shortly. Version 1 will include the Nevada City, Grass Valley and Chicago Park yards ca. 1912. Several Sidings will be included as will both mainlines. I don't have a screenshot yet, but I will post some when I get a chance.

The San Joaquin and Sierra Nevada will be updated this weekend, Kyle Wyatt provided a map of the yards at Woodbridge ca. 1882. Below is a screen capture of the latest version.
Woodbridge-1882.jpg

The Carson & Colorado / Southern Pacific map is progressing, I began mapping out Mound House today, it will need some clean up but here is a preview of what to expect.
Mound-House-Pre-1904-ver-1-iso.jpg
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Re: A couple map updates on the Horizon

Postby Brian Norden » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Andrew --

We need to review what you have prepared for Mound House. I think your curve coming out of the station grounds is not correct.

From everything I've seen the curve is longer and flatter than what is shown in Myrick. I'm away from home and the home computer where all of my information, links and downloads are located.

Part of the curve has been wiped out by the highway and other grading, but then it shows up very clearly about a mile east of the depot location.

Within in an issue to two I'm planning on having a piece with a map in the Journal of the Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Historical Society about the alignments (ng and sg) at Mound House.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Postby Andrew Brandon » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:24 am

Brian,

Once I finish up a few things I'll be sharing the beta version with you, I haven't followed all of the ROW myself like you have so your input will be much appreciated.

Do you have Google Earth on your computer?
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Brian Norden » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:48 am

I have the free version.

I've been thinking about a couple of pictures and I realize that I've got to seriously look at them. (problems of being on the road for the weekend).

The USGS maps of the area date from the 1890s and then the next one is post-WWII. And quite different in scale.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Return to Google Mapping for Pacific NG.com