PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

West Side Google Earth Mapping

Q&A for creating Google Maps! PacificNG from it's inception has wanted to create a unique means of exploring the Narrow Gauge ROWs. Here is where we can all help out.
Forum rules
All maps created from this Forum and through PacificNG.com remain the intelectual property of the map creator. Please be adults and do not steal work for outside publication without permissions from the said participants and PacificNG.

West Side Google Earth Mapping

Postby CraigH » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:59 pm

One of the site's long term projects has been the Google Earth Mapping of Narrow Gauge roads.

When one looks at all the roads up already, it's becoming a big job.

What I'd like to do is Invite you, our fair participants, to have a go at the Westside Google Earth map.

It's quite a lot of fun and one REALLY gets to know to road, especially what's still existing.

All it takes are really good references to help spot the cuts and fills, surviving berms, and spot the linear shadows in the overgrown tree cover. Sluthing gets really interesting when one starts tracing in the yards, sidings, and whatnot.

West Side had a lot of trackage over it's life, what we'd like to do is map all of it, including the yardage, water tanks, staging areas, essentially the entire physical plant that we can find records for.

One enterprising person can do it, it may be more fun to break it up and do it as a team with a few guys.

Since the Forum won't allow us to attach .KMZ files, email me at pacificng@gmail.com and I'll send it to you. It's an extremely rough and took all of 10 minutes.

Any takers?

CraigH
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Return to Google Mapping for Pacific NG.com