PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Pacific Coast NG WIP

Q&A for creating Google Maps! PacificNG from it's inception has wanted to create a unique means of exploring the Narrow Gauge ROWs. Here is where we can all help out.
Forum rules
All maps created from this Forum and through PacificNG.com remain the intelectual property of the map creator. Please be adults and do not steal work for outside publication without permissions from the said participants and PacificNG.

Pacific Coast NG WIP

Postby CraigH » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:59 pm

I had a chance to start a G-Earth Map of the Pacific Coast NG. Of interest to me as I lived in that region for a few years, knew the road had existed, but had nearly no idea where the ROW was outside a few localities. On the ground, there's vast areas with no visible evidence. The ROW has become streets in towns, paved over in areas, or plowed under for agriculture in the sandy topsoil. Big chunks were buried when HWY 101 was run through the region.

Of interest are also a couple additional roads midway down the line at Santa Maria plus a couple quarry roads. The PCRwy served local agriculture, the early oil production, and gravel for the state HWY project over it's lifetime.

It's based in part on handheld shots with a Garmin GPS, G-Earth ROW Tracing, Engineering Maps, and a heavy dose of the book: The Pacific Coast Railway by Westcott and Johnson.

Avila.jpg
Port Hartford, Avila Beach...There's an additional railroad to be worked on here that predated the Pacific Coast NG.

SLO.jpg
San Luis will get developed out to include both yards. The NG yard and the transfer with the S.P. The S.P. will be developed to include the yard trackage.

South of SLO there is a zig-zag section visible...I've not figured out what the ROW did between SLO and Horseshoe Bend (Curve?). A critical section is also burried under housing today.

Just South of SLO

AG.jpg
Arroyo Grande with the trackage in place. It's the area I became most familiar with. My place was West, across HWY 101 in Grover Beach.

Los Olivos.jpg
Los Olivos looking North. Still a quiet place. Some of the old structures remain and plenty of ROW still visible north of town in the form of cuts and fills.

I may develop rudimentary 3D buildings at key locations.
I'm looking for and grateful for any imagery we can link to on this map. We can also link to web sites that are relevant.
Looking for thoughts and suggestions. Assistance with it if anyone's interested.
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Re: Pacific Coast NG WIP

Postby r3feetr » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Craig,

The mapping of the PCRR is looking good. You have brought back a few memories from my past. I graduated from Cal Poly in 1973 and my senior project was a report on the feasibility of recreating the PCRR to Avila Beach for a tourist railroad. I don't even remember what my conclusions were but I do remember that my faculty advisor was an easy grader.

I have attached a kmz file for the trackage south out of SLO. It is rather crude as I sketched it quickly. Maybe it will help with your zigzag area. Also, are you aware of the following map?
http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~215622~5502479:Motor-And-Relief-Map-Of-The-Pacific?sort=Pub_Date%2CPub_List_No_InitialSort&qvq=q:san%2Bluis%2Bobispo;sort:Pub_Date%2CPub_List_No_InitialSort;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=6&trs=7

I assume that you are also aware of the Historical topos for Google earth.
http://www.gelib.com/historic-topographic-maps.htm
I can't wait to see the finished product.
Last edited by r3feetr on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r3feetr

Postby r3feetr » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:43 pm

I don't see my attached file in my post. Does this mean we cannot upload files to the Forum. If this is the case it would be helpful if the upload feature was deleted from the page.
r3feetr

Postby CraigH » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:45 am

John,

I've just done a test on the ROW map. It wouldn't load as an attachment for me either (but then it was packed with overlays and such).

I will check to see if it exceeds maximum upload size and what the limits are.
I will check to see if there's limits to the acceptable file types up-loadable too.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby CraigH » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:02 pm

John,
It appears that uploading kmz/kml files isn't allowed. We will change that shortly.

Craig
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby CraigH » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:08 pm

John,

Try the attached:
2 PCRY-PacificNG.com Map.kmz
without any overlay images
(36.91 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

WIP, quick corrections to the zig-zag segment per your topo site.
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:10 pm

John,

The forum is generally locked down to prevent a good number of attachement types from being posted. In the case of the KMZ/KML files, they are not considered to be a "standard" application format, so they were not included in the forum's preconfiguration.

I've added these two files to whitelist and they can now be posted.

Andrew
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby r3feetr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Craig,
The map looks great! Thanks for sharing it. You don't need my kmz file as you drew the ROW that same as I did.

Andrew,
Thanks for allowing KMZ/KML files. That will make it easier to collaborate on the maps.
r3feetr

Postby CraigH » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:58 pm

John,

Now the hard parts....adding sidings and spurs. Need to consider 2 sets of trackwork circa 1916 and I think it was 1940 per Westcott/Johnson.

Then the fiddly parts like adding links, images, maybe 3D shapes for important buildings. And the PCRwy write-up for the site.

Want to help?

Craig
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby r3feetr » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:55 am

Craig,

I'd like to help. I am quite busy just now building my HOn3 SPC but there are times when I need a break from construction. I have a copy of Best(1992) and Westcott/Johnson(1998). The only other resources I've used are the links I mentioned in an earlier post. Is there an online version of the 1916 maps? I suppose another question is do we want to take this discussion off forum or leave it here so others can jump in?
r3feetr

Next

Return to Google Mapping for Pacific NG.com