PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Pacific Coast NG WIP

Q&A for creating Google Maps! PacificNG from it's inception has wanted to create a unique means of exploring the Narrow Gauge ROWs. Here is where we can all help out.
Forum rules
All maps created from this Forum and through PacificNG.com remain the intelectual property of the map creator. Please be adults and do not steal work for outside publication without permissions from the said participants and PacificNG.

Re: Pacific Coast NG WIP

Postby CraigH » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 pm

John,

On the 1916 maps, I've been scanning and saving as JPEGs from Westcott & Johnson's book. Importing and rubber sheeting them to fit G-Earth imagery. It's never perfect but as close as we can get with 2D images on a 3D globe.

Also, both Curtis Ferrington and Dennis (don't have his last name) from http://www.pacificcoastrailway.com/ supplied some basic location and milepost info that helped to get this started...some kmz files with station, milepost, way-points, and other neat snippets.

From the San Luis Obispo County Surveyor's page we have Engineer's ROW Plats! (which look like they come from CSRM):
http://www.slocounty.ca.gov/PW/County_Surveyor/Pacific_Coast_Railway_Right_of_Way_Maps.htm?PageMode=Print

Keeping discussions on/off-line: Unless you've reservations we can do both as circumstances dictate. I like the idea of creating a "go-to" place for updates and discoveries, tips and tricks, copyright issues, and whatever comes up. I really like the idea of encouraging additional help or mapping projects!

In the end, everyone that participates gets credit in the file. We can copyright the thing in Creative Commons under PacificNG.com (and whatever's do needed to list all participants).
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Postby r3feetr » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Wow, those are great mapping resources! Assuming you are going to coordinate the various volunteers, where would you like me to start? My Sketch Up skills are poor so mapping and writing html would be best for me.
r3feetr

Postby CraigH » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:08 pm

John,
Anywhere you like!
1) Mapping's fine. Those ROW maps from SLO County Surveyor still need to be converted to jpeg format with a LOT of compression. I honestly don't know the maximum file size that can be imported into G-E. I don't think we need permissions since they will be scrubbed out of any finished product (file size).

2) Anything HTML! It's a weak spot for me. Things on the list might include:
a) Links to images already on this site since permissions are already dealt with.
b) Any historic imagry from off site would be exciting but that involves contacting and getting permission to use.
c) We need to consider links to relevant web sites, museums, archives.
d) I need to create a small PacificNG.com logo that we can use as a hotlink to this site. It needs to be permanently built into the file. I can create the artwork but have no idea on the HTML.
e) Andrew's suggested we start doing a Creative Commons copyright for all the stuff we do. Ideally that protection needs to extend to both PacificNG.com and the actual author(s). We want everyone to get credit. I basically consider the site contents a cooperative effort.

3) I/we need to find time to do an introductory writeup on the Pacific Coast Rwy for the site to head the page the map will end up on. OR we need to talk somebody else into doing it!

4) If anyone knows people who can contribute/donate/allow us to post imagry, let's talk! We can easily reduce resolution, burn in ownership on the image, watermark, etc. We can, for institutions, local libraries, etc. link to thier sites and help provide ordering info, or even a digital preview of thier collections.

5) I'll see if the KMZ/KML can be posted here in the Forum so we can work from the same file.
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby r3feetr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Craig,

I just finished importing the SLO County Assessor maps into the file. I reduced the images to 35% of original size. They are still very readable. I was surprised how little rubberbanding I had to do to get them to fit to Google Earth. The ROW map file is 62MB.

I see that your mainline needs tweaking in a few spots. Mostly where the freeways have obliterated the ROW or the ROW goes off into the trees.

Did you ever get a chance to figure out if we can store and share the working file somewhere on the Forum?
r3feetr

Postby CraigH » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:32 am

John,

I haven't had a chance to try storing the file on site yet! Got a tad busy plus had to reformat my computer (still sorting through all the back-up files). I won't be able to do anything this weekend, out of town.

PCRY-PacificNG.com Map.kmz
WIP
(963.51 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

Here's the file. Have fun with it! I'll see what we can do about a better central place to store info for the project.
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby Andrew Brandon » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:16 pm

John,

Most of us use Dropbox to share files like this. Have you used it before? If not, would you be interested in doing so? We have a shared folder among us that is a repository (more like graveyard) for PacificNG projects. Google Earth maps are among those items we keep there.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby r3feetr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:04 pm

I had some spare time so I worked on the PCR map. I used the 1916 ROW maps to locate the track, sidings, spurs, depots, and bridges. I established a new file structure and only kept Craig's mainline, highly modified, and Dave ?'s waypoints from the original file. I think I have all of the track shown on the 1916 maps including the electric Guadalupe/Betteravia branch. I've also added an additional Butimina spur that shows on the 1897 USGS topo map. Comments are welcome.

Dave's Waypoints include a dip into a hillside between Nipomo and Santa Maria which doesn't agree with the 1916 maps. Does anyone know if the waypoints are an original ROW?

I only have added two photos. They are the ones Andrew has on the PacificNG image galley. Unfortunately the pacificcoastrailway.com website has been removed or not paid its bill, so I couldn't reference any of its photos. I was unable to find any other photos on the web that I could use. If you know of any please let me know.

Next I will go thru the file and add more identifers and text describing construction dates and other information from Best or Westcott/Johnson.

The attached file does not have the right of way map overlays. If you would like a copy it is probably best if we use the Dropbox option. The ROW file is 15mb. I am not a user of Dropbox but could quickly become one if we need to use this option.
Attachments
Pacific Coast Railway No ROW maps Mar 2 2012.kmz
(55.6 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
r3feetr

Postby CraigH » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:33 pm

John,

Well just go ahead and delete pretty much everything I'd done! Your work is fantastic.

I won't get an opportunity to look at anything related to the Pacific Coast till after the weekend. Trying to get the Porter section started (as well as being booked solid with work and chores).

I will try to get a note off to Westcott and Johnson to see if they are interested in this. I'd like to see if we can get permissions or access to their material.
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Previous

Return to Google Mapping for Pacific NG.com