PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Nevada County Narrow Gauge for Google Earth

Q&A for creating Google Maps! PacificNG from it's inception has wanted to create a unique means of exploring the Narrow Gauge ROWs. Here is where we can all help out.
Forum rules
All maps created from this Forum and through PacificNG.com remain the intelectual property of the map creator. Please be adults and do not steal work for outside publication without permissions from the said participants and PacificNG.

Nevada County Narrow Gauge for Google Earth

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:33 pm

I too am working on a Google Earth map, for the Nevada County Narrow Gauge. Currently the main line is complete and the Grass Valley yard drawn around 1912. I am using the 1912 ICC maps to build the yard trackage, as time allows I will create different yard layouts which the viewer will be able to select in Google Earth. Historic photographs are being linked when appropriate and Railroad related buildings will be drawn up as time allows.

Version 1.0 will contain the basic route and major yards and will be available soon!
Version 2.0 will contain sidings and period photos.

Grass Valley Yard Circa 1912.jpg
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Re: Nevada County Narrow Gauge for Google Earth

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed May 26, 2010 6:06 pm

I am getting close to having the map ready for prime time! Having spent the past few months doing some field exploration to fully get a feel for the locations along the route, I've gotten nearly all of the major route locations taken care of. Below are samples of the coming version, which will represent the line as it looked circa 1912. In time I will have several time periods represented on the map, allowing the modeler and researcher flexibility.

Nevada City Depot And Yard
Nevada City Depot.jpg

Overall Route Showing New And Old Alignments
NCNG Route update.jpg
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Return to Google Mapping for Pacific NG.com