PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Nevada Central For Google Earth

Q&A for creating Google Maps! PacificNG from it's inception has wanted to create a unique means of exploring the Narrow Gauge ROWs. Here is where we can all help out.
Forum rules
All maps created from this Forum and through PacificNG.com remain the intelectual property of the map creator. Please be adults and do not steal work for outside publication without permissions from the said participants and PacificNG.

Nevada Central For Google Earth

Postby CraigH » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:17 am

Work has started on the Nevada Central Railroad Map for Google Earth.

new-2.jpg

The image is an overview looking South to North from Austin, Nevada to Battle Mountain.

NOTE: About 1/4 of the way down from the image top/center there is a little seismic squiggle and a large angle to the west. That region has not yet been mapped to the ROW.

Surprisingly, at least in Google Earth, none of the stops between appear in the database. So, we'll look for other methods of locating them. The resources used in this map to last night include physical evidence on the ground (visible in G-Earth) and the book "Railroads of Nevada and Eastern California" by David Myrick.

NEEDED will be details of sidings and yardage. ANYONE with those resources out there?

Craig Hoefer
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Re: Nevada Central For Google Earth

Postby John Coker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Have you tried to find the source for Sanborn Insurance mapping? It seems to be the most reliable rr. yard and right-of-way mapping for most if not all shortline r.r. in the USA prior to 1930. Sorry I do not know how to access that database, just know that these maps often are used in r.r. histories.
John Coker

Postby John Coker » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:47 am

Sorry, after reading other posts it's plain you already know about Sanborn maps. Mallory Hope Ferrell is soon to publish a Nevada Central history (my painting of NC #2 is on the back cover). He has gotten better over the years at publishing what maps he can find. If you want I can call him after the holidays and ask if will have any maps in the book.
John Coker

Postby CraigH » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:00 am

John,

I can use all the help I can get on ROW maps! And no, I don't have contact info for Mallory though we've met once or twice. Go ahead and let him know about the site, invite him to stop on by! If he's interested, he's be a welcome and great addition around here. He may find the site a great place to flesh out areas of interest he couldn't expand upon in his published works, network for more info, etc.

Items of interest include yard trackage over time, flag stops, sidings, fuel/water stops, basically, anything mappable.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Postby Dave » Fri May 10, 2013 7:33 am

Craig, are you still looking for that detail? I have it, for the NC and AC. Station locations and yard layouts and chronological changes, based on a variety of sources from the original survey books, the few extent maps, newspapers, and photos.

Dave
Dave

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon May 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Dave,

Craig has been a bit busy as of late and may not get a chance to respond to you right away. I'll jump out there and answer for him: Yes, he would love to see what you've compiled (as I am sure most of us would).I don't believe the map for the Nevada Central has been updated in some time, one of us should be able to work from what you've compiled and get an update out. If you've got any experience with GE, we could send you the file for updating if you like.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Dave » Wed May 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Andrew,

Thanks for the update. I've not worked with GE but probably could learn.

Back over a decade ago...where'd the time go?...I compiled a detailed set of station layouts and locations along the entire NC attempting to show chronologic changes on a station by station basis using every source I had researched. For every station I have building details, also. I can provide strong detail on the Austin City line.

I was able to plot the railroad and stations onto a 1940s highway map of Lander County which I used on several trips in the 1990s to successfully locate a couple key locations and also the Stockton & Ione boxcar that sat out in the desert. Moving that info to GE should be pretty straightforward I'd guess?
Dave

Postby Ed Weldon » Thu May 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Dave - You'll have fun with Google Earth. First you have to download it and it'll put am icon on your desktop. I guess you can learn it pretty well if you go through the tutorials. I haven't yet mustered the patience for that. I just plunged in.
When you open the program it'll show an astronauts view of planet Earth. At the top of the left command box there's a search box. Type in the mailing address of a place you know. Or just the name and state of a town. Your home town. Or maybe Austin NV or Laws CA. Click the search button to the right or hit the enter key. Watch the screen go to that place. It'll stop at a straight down aerial view. Move the scroll button to get closer or further away and hold the left mouse button down while moving the mouse and the screen view will follow it .
In the upper right are the 3d motion icons . They take some learning. And you can get stuck in a view angle that is hard to get out of. Next point is important. To get out of that trap go to the top left of the screen where it says "File Edit View Tools Add Help" Click on "View". The drop down box of commands shows "reset" second from the bottom. Click on that and the next drop down shows "Tilt and Compass". Click on that and you will go back to the straight down view you started with.
Another thing you will find very useful is the Street View. Move the cursor over to the 3d commands at the top right of the screen and you will see a little human figure that lights up green and orange under the cursor. Hold the left mouse button down and drag the man figure towards any street or highway and if it lights up blue then put the little orange man over the blue line and release the left button. Voila.... Welcome to Austin. Left mouse button down and move it left or right to get the 360 degree view from the camera van. When you are done go back to right hand corner and click on "Exit Street View" You are now in a 3d trap so go back to click View-Reset-Tilt and Compass to a place you know.
The other useful command to us historians and modelers is the Ruler. At the top left of the screen image to the right of the search button are 13 pictorial icons. 4th from the right end is a high and narrow blue rectangle. That's the "Ruler". It measures distances on the screen, feet, miles, inches , meters and others including "smoots". It's kinda self explanatory once you play with it a bit.
About image resolution. It's pretty good over US cities and important tourist sites. That includes Felton and Laws, CA. Austin NV, Battle Mountain and along route 305 are not as good. Chama NM is poor and coastal British Columbia and Alaska are terrible. I haven't yet tried to look at Area 51; but sometime back I found images of Russian Aircraft Carriers rusting in some harbor up near Murmansk.
So have fun Dave and others who haven't tried Google Earth. But give yourself an evening to play with it. ........... Ed Weldon
Ed Weldon

Postby Andrew Brandon » Sat May 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Dave,

Attached is the most recent copy of the Nevada Central map that I have. Feel free to update it as you like. I know with Craig's busy schedule, he may not have much time to really sit down and work on it.

As to working with Google Earth, I learned through trial and error, but there are some great tutorials available here: http://www.google.com/earth/outreach/tutorials/index.html
Attachments
NCR-2-22-12.kmz
Nevada Central for Google Earth. Last updated 2/22/12
(158.13 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Ed Weldon » Sun May 19, 2013 12:36 am

Andrew - I spent some time studying your Google Earth plot this evening. Many thanks for your efforts. With copies in hand as well as Mal Ferrel's Nevada Central book I'm hoping to spend a day in the Austin area exploring come early October when I'll be driving through there. Properties around the Clifton site appear to be pretty well fenced; but it should be easy to get some decent pictures of the terrain. It'll also be interesting to search out any early buildings remaining in Austin. IIRC there is a nice public campground on HWY 50, 7or 8 miles east of Austin at Bob Scott Summit. I stayed a night there a couple of years ago on my trip back home from Wendover.
For the model railroaders among us I think Nevada Central's Clifton terminus and the Austin City railway would make a great subject for a small HOn3 layout if you can divorce yourself from Colorado RTR..........Ed Weldon
Ed Weldon

Next

Return to Google Mapping for Pacific NG.com