PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Color and Line Standards

Q&A for creating Google Maps! PacificNG from it's inception has wanted to create a unique means of exploring the Narrow Gauge ROWs. Here is where we can all help out.
Forum rules
All maps created from this Forum and through PacificNG.com remain the intelectual property of the map creator. Please be adults and do not steal work for outside publication without permissions from the said participants and PacificNG.

Color and Line Standards

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:01 pm

I've meant to get this worked out for quite a while now, with the site move and all the work required to restore the gallery it fell to the bottom of my to do list. The release of the Southern Pacific map on the site forced me to take another look at standardizing the colors used on my maps. After some trial and error, I settled upon the following colors, which I have put into a spreadsheet for convenience. Attached is a pdf version of the preliminary color set, please compare it with my SPNG - 1916 map. Be sure to switch to satellite view for the maximum zoom, I've drawn several yards including Mound House, Keeler, Owenyo, Churchill and parts of Mina.

Notes on the standards:
I've given mainline and gauge varying line weights to help give an aesthetic touch to the maps. You may notice that the smallest size used is 1.1 instead of 1.0, there is a bug(feature) in the Google render that turns lines drawn at 1 to a much thicker default. You will notice that structures and other icons are color coded based on their relative gauge. An example of this is the station platform at Owenyo in 1916: while functionally dual gauge, there was no actual dual gauge track there at the time, so the icon itself is color coded as dual gauge. There are bound to be labeling mistakes on the map, they will get resolved in the next update.

I look forward to your feedback.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Re: Color and Line Standards

Postby r3feetr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Andrew,

I am trying to finish up the Empire City Railroad map and wanted to use your new color standards. I am confused by the hex color numbers in your standards list. As Google Earth does not allow entering color in hex it would be helpful to give the RGB numbers.

Also, Empire City RR had two mainline hoists, one of which hoisted from both sides of the ridge. I want to show the limits of the hoists using a different color from the mainline. Any ideas for a color?

Thanks,
John
r3feetr

Postby Andrew Brandon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:50 am

John,

Sorry for the delay, it turns out I lost the original spreadsheet I made up and had to recreate it. This version now includes the RGB values for the colors and a few expanded notes.

I do not have a color suggestion for the hoists, but I will be interested to see what you come up with. When I created this initial list I tried to include as many options as possible, but naturally I couldn't foresee them all. ;)

The original PDF I attached has been replaced with the updated version.
Andrew Brandon

Postby CraigH » Mon May 05, 2014 6:23 am

I've run into a problem with tunnels while starting the conversion of the NPC to Andrew's new line-work standard.

My line-work vanishes at anything over 2.0 pixels weight. It looks like it's probably dropping to sea level. It will show up when the "Extend path to ground" toggle is selected and arbitrary altitudes are used; it then defaults to a 1.0 pixel line-weight and what appears to be a gray color.

The existing line-work is "clamped to ground" in the altitude setting...which is the default we established when we started this site and ROW Mapping.

I'm hoping to avoid reinstalling GE...if my old copy has corrupted with time.

What I'm running:
Google Earth 7.1.2.2041
Build Date 10/7/2013
Renderer OpenGL

Side Note1: That extend to ground feature is something we should explore for bridge and trestlework. That or building the structures in Sketchup and inserting the result in the maps (a lot of work).

Side Note 2: This conversion to the new line standards may force a complete rebuild of the NPC Map. We may need to discuss a further addition to the line-work standards that I've toyed with doing over the past few years. That is identifying PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE sections of the ROW as well as those on private land.

CraigH
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon May 05, 2014 12:25 pm

The color choices are specifically for what WAS there, not the ownership of land or use of the lands therein. Quite frankly, attempting to add more colors will only make things more confusing than they already are. I would recommend using an icon or polygon if you want to note land ownership, but its quite simply easier to just put a disclaimer on each page/file stating land ownership changes, don't trespass, etc.

It sounds like what you're thinking about would be better served as a togglable layer that would sync the existing information from the ROW tour into the map itself. That way you don't have to alter the core route to denote these things and you can worry less about reworking what you've done and more about laying stuff over it.

While the option is not yet available on the maps, the functionality for toggled layers is on the way. I would like to push the maps towards being a specific snapshot in time rather than a mess of lines from different eras. Layer options will be coming later this month after I return from Owens Valley.

As for using the fill to ground option on trestles, that is a good idea, but it can be tough to setup since it requires breaking the mainline item into smaller pieces. I am leaning towards proper 3D items from sketchup when possible and I've actually removed my basic 3D polygons from previous maps, but left them as 2D objects on the ground as placeholders. For the time being I am more focused on getting the maps done than putting the bells and whistles on.
Andrew Brandon

Postby CraigH » Mon May 05, 2014 6:39 pm

On linework I wasn't thinking about true ownership at all...boundary work in the case of the NPC, worrying about actual ownership of the 2.3 gajillion parcels is a stupid-crazy project. Perfect for the Marin County Bike Coalition to force upon the taxpayers because it will cost millions to cover the man hours.

It was more along the lines of what we mortals can freely visit. The ROW that is on surface streets, park trails, bike paths, parking/ landscape strips.

I was thinking simplicity. GREEN: Freely Accessable. YELLOW: Visible from the road or needs an assist (AKA Kayak, Climbing Gear, etc.) RED: Private Property, Inaccessible, Don't Go There.

Since you're talking togglable layers: is this for G-Maps as it appears on our web site or for G-Earth? Easy enough to do on Earth but it would be a fantastic addition to Maps.

Back to the linework issue.
Looks like the key is to run in Direct X Mode and NOT Open GL. I think the Open GL only supports 2.0 line thickness...then it barfs and goes to sea level on my computer.

As for using the fill to ground option on trestles, that is a good idea, but it can be tough to setup since it requires breaking the mainline item into smaller pieces. I am leaning towards proper 3D items from sketchup when possible and I've actually removed my basic 3D polygons from previous maps, but left them as 2D objects on the ground as placeholders. For the time being I am more focused on getting the maps DONE than putting the bells and whistles on.

3D Structures VS 2D Polygons:
Remember when I started the State Belt a few years ago? That was full of sketch-up derived structures. A serious time eating project with exciting results. Downside was that it ate spectacular chunks of time.

ROW snapshots in time: Absolutely the way to go, always has been. It's one of the reasons I'm reworking the NPC (the other is to update to the new linework standards.

Breaking the linework segments isn't so bad. I can think of quite a few points on a couple maps I've done where shorter segments would really help. They include yard ends, tunnels, places where detours were cut in, reroutes, abandonment, etc. On the NPC, I'll be reworking some big chunks at the south end simply for want of shorter mainline segments.

There ya go!
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Postby r3feetr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:07 am

Andrew,

What is the latest Map Color Key? Is it the complex one attached to this topic or is it the Map Key that is included with the Google Earth Maps on each railroad page? I ask because they are not the same. I am currently updating my maps and am not sure which one to use. Also if it is the Map Key on the Google Earth map page could you provide RGB numbers for the colors so we can match them.

Thanks,
John Hall
r3feetr

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:01 pm

Hopefully by the next update I will get a page made for basic GE map info and post these documents there. For now, the latest revision is attached. When I made the color key I quickly added the wharf color and forgot to revise the spreadsheet. It also appears the color key is slightly off, some of the colors are not exact, I'll have to correct that.
Attachments
GE Colors Standards - 02112015.pdf
Revised: February 11, 2015.
(55.05 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
Andrew Brandon

Return to Google Mapping for Pacific NG.com