PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Sketch-up Modeling

Sketch-up Modeling

Postby CraigH » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:28 am

I've been playing around in Sketch-up and AutoCad lately when I can't sleep.

Basically I'll start in AutoCad since I'm familiar with the package for both 2D and to some extent 3D modeling. What I've also been doing is import some of the CAD work into Google Sketch-up. Turns out Sketch-up has a far lower learning curve and is far more portable than my "old" package. At least compared to the version of Cad I use (Civil/Survey), S-Up is easier to deal with regarding graphic output. It's also looking like an interesting go-between for gaming and probably lower end "hobby" work that is poly critical and more importantly availability. AutoCad falls into the very expensive category.

The following is a Carter 8 Ton, basically first generation truck. The truck's sporting truck mounted brakes though in this configuration it should have body hung. Fairly easy to fix later though. The intent on this model is to do separate layers, basically allowing me to include both styles in one drawing, turning them on and off as needed.
Attachments
Carter 8 Ton Truck3.jpg
Carter 8 Ton Truck4.jpg
Carter 8 Ton Truck2.jpg
Carter 8 Ton Truck.jpg
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Re: Sketch-up Modeling

Postby CraigH » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:38 am

Here's another WIP, the M&SV Combine at CSRM.

Basic CAD done in AutoCAD with lots of follow up in Google Sketch-up. Still needs most of the hardware, trucks, breaks, and if I can find all the drawings, a fairly complete interior.
Attachments
M&SV-Front.jpg
M&SV-Perspective 2.jpg
M&SV-Perspective.jpg
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Re: Sketch-up Modeling

Postby Solomani » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi Craig,

I agree, Sketchup is a great program. Easy learn and in full "scale" does not have much problem with artifacts. Some great work there that you have done. I was working on trucks myself sometime ago but ran into a lack of specific data on the trucks and went on to some other projects.

The only reason I switched out of sketchup (free version) was that when it came to making changes it does not allow for direct editing of a drawn line. there is an add on (free add-on's are one of the great features of sketchup) but last time I used driving dimensions it did not seem to work too well. I think if they allowed editing of lines and features I would go back to sketchup. I do like the added features and tools that I get with Alibre though.

Again, great work! While it may not do you much good it will help out the rest of us if you continue to have sleepless nights :)

-John
Solomani

Return to Digital Modeling