PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Combining digital imagery with models...

Combining digital imagery with models...

Postby elminero67 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 am

Like others, I've been playing around with digital modeling a bit lately. Still learning. The following is on my ON30 layout, but Id appreciate constructive feedback on what works, and what doesn't, i.e. texture, light quality or anything else that detracts from the overall impression (btw, the one thing that catches my eye is the different range of contrast on the loco and ore cars).

elminero67

Re: Combining digital imagery with models...

Postby Andrew Brandon » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:43 pm

I happened to be going through some files today and I found an old real world/model combination I made of one of Craig's models and figured I'd dust off this old post.

The attached image is made from his 1:20.3 NPC #4 "Olema" pulling a train of Accucraft passenger cars photographed in natural light on his back patio (I think it was his patio). The rest of the scene is cropped from an image of Ross and the train was inserted into it. I used a process in Photoshop to simulate wet plate emulsion and then matched a faux sepia to the background. Accents like steam were created (by hand) and a layer of simulated grain, dust and a little blur were added to the final layer.

We were able to trick at least one person into thinking it was a legitimate photograph.

Part of the trick is to degrade the quality of the final image so it isn't overly sharp. Try to reduce the depth of field a bit so the focus is on the train/foreground and blur the rest slightly. In the case of this image, I did the reverse, the background was already slightly blurred so I had to make the model fit into the scene.

In hindsight, I should have added Craig to the engineer's seat like you did with yours. ;)
Attachments
NPC_4_At_Ross_Landing_by_ferroequine.jpg
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Return to Digital Modeling