PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Winter Road Trip (NV/AZ/So Cal)

A place to hook up for road trips, plan them, grab driving partners.

A place to brag about the trip and expound on the drinking capacity and silly things the other guy did, tell fish stories, and such.

Moderator's note: We hold no responsibility for thin skins, embarrassing stories, and hurt feelings here. We won't tell your coworkers or significant others. Enjoy, laugh, and hold no grudges!

Winter Road Trip (NV/AZ/So Cal)

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:26 pm

I will be leaving on a road trip tomorrow to visit some of the sights in the southwest.

Our current agenda will take me near:

Tonopah
NSRM - Boulder City
Grand Canyon RR
Palm Springs (To photograph the tie house on display)
Los Angeles (Travel Town, OERM).

I am hoping to make it to Travel Town at least so I can photograph the equipment. Does anyone have any photo requests?

The plan is to be gone from December 27th to around January 4th, if anyone would like to meet up for coffee or a quick chat, send me a PM.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Re: Winter Road Trip (NV/AZ/So Cal)

Postby Solomani » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi Andrew,

Some photos of the travel town stock car that potentially has the C&TL&F Bliss trucks under it would be welcome. Especially with dimensions of the trucks or at least a yardstick held up to the photos.

-John
Solomani

Months later..

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:31 pm

I am only a couple months last posting this.. ;)

Back in the end of December a couple friends and I took a trip down to the Grand Canyon. We originally intended to make it to LA and I had hoped to photograph a few pieces of equipment for the gallery while down there. Plans were changed at the last minute and we completely bypassed LA. Early in the trip we swung through Tonopah and Goldfield, though we only made it to Tonopah in the evening and stayed the night. The next day we continued south on Hwy 95 and longing for a break we took a side trip to the remains of the American Carrara Marble Co. south of Beatty.

Armed with RRs of Nevada Vol. II we found the correct turn off and passed through what remains of Carrara (the town) near the Las Vegas & Tonopah grade (the highway). We did not spend much time at the remains as we intended to reach the quarry and had a tight schedule. We were able to drive our AWD minivan half way up the grade before we decided to hike.

from-grade-looking-east.jpg

In the distance you can see Gabe, who was in much better shape than the rest of us. As described by Myrick, the grade is a tangent straight up the side of the mountains. The quarry is not visible in this photo, being behind the ridge just above Gabe. There is a mine of some sort on the left side of the grade, opposite the quarry.

Further up the grade at the foot of the ridge mentioned previously we discovered the remains of camp structures.

structure-1.jpg

foundation.jpg

Just beyond the ridge, we got our first view of the quarry.

quarry-from-grade.jpg

Further up the grade we reached the loading area. Having been cut into the hillside, it had become a seasonal wash and only sections of the retaining walls remain.

Loading-and-wall.jpg

loading-area.jpg

Opposite the loading area is the quarry itself, here is Gabe standing near the edge for scale. The flattened area in the upper right was the location of the hoist works.

Gabe-at-quarry.jpg

Hoisting Works remains.
hoist-foundation.jpg

I climbed up above the quarry itself to take this general view of the area. Companions Gabe and Tasha can be seen at the hoist area. The grade is visible running up the center of the photo, the concrete culvert is one of handful on the line. The modern road bypasses the washed out cut.

quarry-from-above.jpg

On the trip back down to the van I had to stop and take a photo showing the grade from the loading area.
Visible in the distance are the LV&T grade (highway) and the Tonopah & Tidewater even further distant. For the sharp eyed, our van is the dark spot, visible far down the grade.

looking-downgrade-from-loading.jpg

We had intended to stop by Boulder City, but our schedule brought us there on a day no one was around. We stayed a night in Vegas before continuing on to see the tourist attractions on the way to the Grand Canyon.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Randy Hees » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Great photos...

I love the marble steps

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby Solomani » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:57 pm

I agree, great photos. It does not look like a whole lot of marble was taken out and shipped.

-John
Solomani

Return to ROADTRIPS