PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Reefer hunting

A place to hook up for road trips, plan them, grab driving partners.

A place to brag about the trip and expound on the drinking capacity and silly things the other guy did, tell fish stories, and such.

Moderator's note: We hold no responsibility for thin skins, embarrassing stories, and hurt feelings here. We won't tell your coworkers or significant others. Enjoy, laugh, and hold no grudges!

Reefer hunting

Postby Randy Hees » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 am

Andrew and I are planning an October trip into the desert... part camping near Ft Churchill, but also including a search for the fabled body of a C&C Reefer... said to be at a mine site somewhere east of Walker Lake... We have a treasure map and descrption of where it was previously found at the end of a very bad dirt road...

We may find time to go looking for other rumored carbodies in the area... We have heard rumors of a second near Mina... up in the hills near a mine... not a good description... We are willing to look for others, or for specific details if wanted...

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Re: Reefer hunting

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:10 pm

The "fastest" route on the map will take us across the Rawhide Western grade. I did not visit the southern section on my trip that way a few years ago.

Herman mentioned the other half of Reefer #433 went to another mine in the area (apparently), and he confirmed that the second boxcar "at a mine near Mina" is NOT the same car, but another V&T built C&C boxcar. This story came from Dick Datin who did not share many details with Herman. I've scoured the area in Google Earth and other image sources. Mindat lists a few mines that might be worth investigating, but its pretty much a needle in a haystack at this point. I've located maybe 10 possible locations to check.

If nothing else, SP box #135 (ex SPC #176) is in Mina. I saw it back in December, but I did not have good enough light to shoot an image for the gallery. We could also get another look at that car body on the south side of town.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Re: Reefer hunting

Postby Brian Norden » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:24 pm

The late Dale Darney had slides of the C&C reefer car body. But, I cannot recall where he said it was. It was on a hillside in an relatively open area. More of a ventilator car than a reefer. Vents high on the end of the car.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Return to ROADTRIPS