PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Introduction / Allen Models Chloe project

Everything Live Steam Modeling

Introduction / Allen Models Chloe project

Postby Harlock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:34 pm

Well, might as well kick start the forum. (first post!)

My name is Mike Massee and I am a professional photographer (including railroads) and print designer, among a few dozen other things.

My father and I are currently wrapping up an Allen Models Chloe, based on Ward Kimball's tiny 3ft gauge 0-4-2 engine that he retrieved from Hawaii where it was called 'Pokaa'.

The prototype is now at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum. Since Hawaii is covered on this website, I suppose it's relevant!

Here's a picture of the nearly completed engine plus the design for the fuel tender / riding car I am building for it, which will be done this month.
Attachments
10-04-26_Chloe-3327.jpg
riding-tender_page-1.jpg
riding-tender_page-2.jpg
Last edited by Harlock on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Massee
www.mikemassee.com
2 1/2" Chloe nearing completion
3/4" Scale Kozo A3 under construction
Harlock

Re: Introduction

Postby Harlock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:40 pm

The riding tender is a MOW car, disney-fied. When I designed the caboose shell I took my favorite features from a couple of narrow gauge cabeece found online and exaggerated the roof lines a bit. I printed out full sized drawings then my father the master woodworker built it.

The Chloe is 2 1/2" scale, but it's so tiny that it's smaller than most 1 1/2" gauge engines. It's essentially a 1" scale engine with outsized features to make it a 2" scale engine. The prototype is tiny. The caboose shell is about 2" scale, which is about the right size. I designed it by sticking my thumb out to the monitor, heh.
Attachments
08-09-28_MOW_Caboose-0770.jpg
08-09-28_MOW_Caboose-0783.jpg
08-09-28_MOW_Caboose-0773.jpg
Mike Massee
www.mikemassee.com
Harlock

Postby Harlock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:42 pm

A couple more details. The lamps were made by David Mattox of Bryterails. www.bryterails.com. He makes 1 1/2" and 2 1/2" scale caboose markers and locomotive class lamps, as well as a switch lamp. Plus some other little jewelry. I retrofitted them with more realistic looking actual fresnel lenses which came from a panel mount LED company. The markers light up. (as soon as I wire them, heh.)
Attachments
08-09-28_MOW_Caboose-0788.jpg
08-09-28_MOW_Caboose-0790.jpg
Mike Massee
www.mikemassee.com
Harlock

Postby Harlock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:49 pm

Here's some pictures of the prototype down at OERM, with me for scale. Obviously ours isn't made to match it. It's just made from an Allen Models Chloe kit and modified from there to suit our tastes. The Allen kit is different from the prototype in that the cab and tank area are greatly stretched to facilitate scale running, there's room for coal and what-not, although ours is currently propane fired.
Attachments
10-04-22_Chloe-OERM-2976.jpg
10-04-22_Chloe-OERM-2974.jpg
Mike Massee
www.mikemassee.com
Harlock

Postby Harlock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Ward himself modified the engine greatly after receiving it. It started life as a saddle tank engine, and Ward transformed it into an RT with a slightly extended platform, and added cosmetic features to make it appear much older.
Attachments
72kk6cld_resize.jpg
Here's an interesting photo: Gerald Best looks up at the cab, Ward on the left, Chloe in the middle (his daughter for whom the engine is named) and a son to the right. Gerald bought "Olomana" at the same time that Ward acquired 'Chloe'. These little plantation and mine engines have been popular because they are small and easy to manage. (See also Marie E and Deanna, same size.) In the background is a station modified from a set piece from the Disney movie "So dear to my heart".
10-04-22_Chloe-OERM-2983.jpg
Pokaa just after Ward took delivery. Pretty run down.
10-04-22_Chloe-OERM-2982.jpg
Baldwin Builder's photo of Pokaa / Chloe.
Mike Massee
www.mikemassee.com
Harlock

Postby Harlock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:01 pm

One more. Here's ward's own drawings that he used to suss out the details for his modifications to the Chloe.
Attachments
10-04-22_Chloe-OERM-2980.jpg
Mike Massee
www.mikemassee.com
Harlock

Return to Live Steam