PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Unitah/Sumpter Valley/IRCA 2-6-6-2 (#51) 15"ga.

Everything Live Steam Modeling

Unitah/Sumpter Valley/IRCA 2-6-6-2 (#51) 15"ga.

Postby Loco112 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:18 am

Is anyone over here interested in building themselves a Unitah/Sumpter Valley/IRCA 2-6-6-2 (#51) in 5/12 scale for 15" gauge?

A member of my forum is getting some of his livesteam buddies together to tackle this locomotive as a group project and I am hoping they do it right, if so I'm planning to get in on this with them.

This is not my project and I have no say on who gets in or not, I might not even get in on the project myself, but I'm hoping to if its a really accurate project.

If you are interested, let me know and I'll talk to the projects organizer and let him contact you.

My opinion;
This will not be inexpensive for you!

I do not know the details yet, but knowing the price range for rough parts for a loco like these, I think that a builder in this project should expect to spend about $30,000.00 -$40,000.00 before a loco like that is completed and running.

Loco112
Create projects so fantastic they inspire others to undertake even greater projects.
Loco112
Loco112

Re: Unitah/Sumpter Valley/IRCA 2-6-6-2 (#51) 15"ga.

Postby John Coker » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm

The one thing I know about live steam is that it is far more expensive than original projections. This engine will cost north of $60K, maybe even more. Live steam is the best. It is just like running the real thing!i
John Coker

Postby Loco112 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:59 am

Original projections have been too high also. I think I could build it for $35,000, knowing what these things cost.

I'm sure a person could spend $150,000 - $200,000 on it if money was not a major concern.

If you get in a hurry and want it "done now", and are willing to pay for all new parts and new rough materials(axles, tires, etc..) at retail prices, and then pay to have it all machined by a pro shop, it will cost you at the upper end of all estimates.

The total cost is the amount of dollars you have to pay someone else to do work for you, plus the raw materials and other misc. expenses. Keep those to the minimum, do as much as you can to help contain your project costs and you can get it done at the lower end of the range.
Create projects so fantastic they inspire others to undertake even greater projects.
Loco112
Loco112

Postby Curtis_F » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:13 pm

5" scale 15" gauge Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2?

A code boiler would be $120k to $150k. A non-code boiler (which would severely limit it's use and nuter it's re-sale value) would be in the $40k to $50k area.

If I was hired to build such an engine my rough estimate for a finished loco and tender would be $1.2M :shock:

Building it out of your own shop & weld fabricating as much as you can from scrap don't expect to drop less than $150k (including non-code boiler) out of your own pocket.

This is a professional opinion.

Cheers,

Curtis F.
Curtis S. Ferrington
Train Nut
Curtis_F

Return to Live Steam