PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

My standard-gauge favorites.

Discussion of early railroads and "honorary" narrow gauges.

My standard-gauge favorites.

Postby John Coker » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:16 pm

OK, I am in my favorite SG shortlines are the following:

1 Virginia and Truckee- Hands down the most interesting shortline in North America. The equipment was incredible, even in its operating days. Hard to understand why it wasn't preserved.
2. Sierra Railway. My experience, an unfriendly outfit. Some fat railfan ran me off, even though the state owned the yard in Jamestown. I will never go back. Nevertheless, fascinating history, right-of-way, facilities and equipment
3.Nevada Northern. One of three great preserved railroad yards (other two Chama and Orbisonia). Great equipment and friendly employees.
4. Verde Valley RR- A diesel tourist outfit with an unremarkable train. However the Verde Canyon rivals the Animas Canyon for natural beauty. Not sure why the word has not gotten out about it.
5. Colorado Midland/Midland Terminal A legendary regional line, the CM shrank from a 250 mile railroad to 50 mile shortline. Like East Ely and Carson City, its Colorado City yard was a trove of fascinating equipment from all over.
John Coker

Re: My standard-gauge favorites.

Postby Randy Hees » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:58 pm

I like your list... I wasn't aware of the Verde Valley...

I would add the Yosemite Valley...

I might add the Amador Central, Yreka Western and McCloud...
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby John Coker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Randy, the McCloud River RR was an interesting a beautiful operation. I rode a special behind the 2-6-2 to Burney. I took a brief look at Yreka, and saw the 2-8-2 sitting inside the engine house. I never looked at the Amador Central. Is it still around? Easterners say the Cass Scenic is another interesting road. Pickering Lumber(Sugar Pine Ry.) was another beautiful road, up to Lyons dam. I rode it in 1971, with Shay #33 pulling. The Stanislaus River Gorge was spectacular from the cupola of one of their short cabooses!
John Coker

Postby Solomani » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:49 pm

For me I need to add the Central Pacific. The influence it had (good and bad) on technology in the region (Carter Brothers, V&T and others) as well as the early operations across Nevada makes it interesting for me. I grew up in Wadsworth where they had their big yard and facilities, lived on a section of land further east where there was a section house and a great number of railroad and Chinese artifacts (I still have some.) Additionally I really like the Howe Truss Arched covered bridges they built at Wadsworth and along the line in the Sierras.

-John
Solomani

Return to 19th Century Standard Gauge Railroads