PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Nevada Standard Gauge to Tonapah

Discussion of early railroads and "honorary" narrow gauges.

Nevada Standard Gauge to Tonapah

Postby Randy Hees » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:33 am

The latest Sage Brush Headlight has a nice article by Brian Norden on traveling between Tonapah and both Northern and Southern California... not narrow gauge or V&T, but very nice...

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Re: Nevada Standard Gauge to Tonapah

Postby Brian Norden » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Randy,

Thank you for the nice comment.

Frank Ackerman of NSRM had been after me for a couple of years to do this text version of the PowerPoint presentation that I did at the NSRM history symposium in 2009.

Part of the reason for the initial presentation and the later article is that Frank want to make people aware of the now gone rail travel corridor through central Nevada.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Re: Nevada Standard Gauge to Tonapah

Postby PacificCoastBorax99 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:32 pm

If this is the thread to talk about the Tonopah & Tidewater, I'd like to bring up some research I've been doing on which engines could've carried the No. 2 and No. 3 for anyone who might be interested.

Apparently the T&T bought a Dickson 2-6-0 of Lackawanna Railroad heritage, formerly their No. 671, and a Baldwin 2-8-0 Compound from the Central New England Railroad, their former #40 via Fitzhugh-Luther Co. which was a eastern-based secondhand railroad surplus dealership.

These are the only known photos of these engines on the T&T, obtained from Phil Serpico's excellent book on the T&T.

Apparently the Dickson might've been either the #2 or the #3, and later went to the Goldfield Consolidated Milling & Transportation Co.'s railroad in Goldfield in 1910, and Myrick writes that the #3 was a compound locomotive. But according to Serpico, a note was made by Wash Cahill to the dispatcher that he made an error on saying GC&MT #2 was the T&T #2 when it was going to Goldfield, but it was rather #3.

How accurate this is is questionable, but it brings an interesting theory that might've been TWO Dicksons used on the T&T and both carried the Nos. 2 and 3 when in service. No. 2 was said later to have been scrapped for its fixtures in 1913, but in 1911 was going to be used for "boiler washing" at Ludlow. A note made by Ryan to an auditor says current T&T locomotive inventory included No. 2 and not No. 3, dated about 1911.

In the picture with the "Compound," if one looks closely on the tender to the trucks, the trucks appear to be very similar, if not identical, to the trucks GC&MT #2 carries under her tender. After looking at pictures of the other Baldwin F-2's that were used on the CNE, these trucks are clearly not the ones the engines was built with.

https://sites.google.com/site/nynhhstea ... ne-class-f

Where then, did the Baldwin get ahold of these Dickson trucks on its tender? Perhaps they were spares that came with the #2/#3 to the T&T, or they were obtained from the old No. 2 when she was scrapped, but the photo of the Compound is dated 1907 circa whereas the scrapping of No. 2 took place around 1913. Whatever became of the "Compound" is questionable, it could've gone to the Rawhide Western Railway, it could've been sold to the Males Co. of New York, or to Norman B. Livermore of San Francisco when it was offered for sale to them. Myrick does talk about the T&T No. 3 being "an ancient and honorable second-hand, cross-compound locomotive used on construction trains" , the text can be read along with a certain incident iinvolving No. 3, her engineer and a Mexican on pg. 549 in Myrick's blue book, Vol. 2 "The Southern Roads."

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions...
PacificCoastBorax99

Return to 19th Century Standard Gauge Railroads