PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

V&T Locomotive Transfer #1

Known as the "Silver Queen of the shortlines", The Virginia & Truckee Railroad operated their own narrow gauge subsidiary: the Carson and Colorado. Additionally the railroad and its officers would be an influence to many narrow gauge and shortline railroads throughout Nevada and California.

V&T Locomotive Transfer #1

Postby Andrew Brandon » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:34 am

A few months back I inquired about the V&T Locomotive Transfer flatcar which was used by the V&T to transport C&C locomotives from Mound House to the shops in Carson City. I've been working on a model of the car in HO circa 1900 for what seems like "forever" as I tried to work out the details of this car. While the car does still survive at the Nevada State Railroad Museum, it had been converted to a simple flat car in 1907. There are no traces of the rail arrangement remaining on the car, in fact Hollywood added rails back to the car when they owned the car leaving very deceiving holes on the decking. I turned to photographs of similar cars, however most cars I found used what appears to be strap iron type rails on timbers laid on the deck. None of this helpful, I surmised that the rails were not held by any special timber framing, rather they were attached simply to the deck somehow as the construction of the car does not lend to any other method of attaching rails. The intermediate sills on the car are spaced so the rails would have be laid upon them with decking between them of course. Based on what I could make out from photographs I could make out what appeared to be some sort of bolt on the top of the deck, my suspicion is that these bolts tighten down longer rods which proceed through the deck to either a casting or bar under the intermediate sills.

Over the weekend I finally finished putting the rails on the deck and "bolting them down". Using available photographs, Mike Collins wonderful CAD drawing and some photographs provided by Wendell Huffman up at the Nevada State Railroad Museum, I was finally able to proceed with a deck arrangement I am satisfied with.

As this car is not intended to operate in general service on a future layout, I've skipped installing Kadees and have been working to give the car a more accurate Sam's coupler arrangement. This first image shows the car when I test fit a Grandt Line Gilpin Coupler. The Gilpin Couplers will be modified to have the appearance of a Sam's coupler in the future.

transfer-flat.jpg

Below we see the car with rails attached. To attach the rails to the deck I used Grandt Dummy Rail Clips spread out across the middle 30 boards of the deck in a manner consistent with what little period information I could find on similar arrangements. In the one photo I've found of the car with rails on the deck a handful of what look like bolts can be seen among blocking timbers left on the deck after unloading. Link To Thread.

transfer with bolts.jpg

My next step will be to finish up the couplers, brake staff and air hoses before final weathering.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Re: V&T Locomotive Transfer #1

Postby gardenville » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi,

Do you know the weight limit of this flat car would have been?

Thanks
gardenville

Re: V&T Locomotive Transfer #1

Postby MAC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 am

50,000 lbs
MAC

Return to Virginia & Truckee