PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Our First Group project, V&T 9 & 10

Known as the "Silver Queen of the shortlines", The Virginia & Truckee Railroad operated their own narrow gauge subsidiary: the Carson and Colorado. Additionally the railroad and its officers would be an influence to many narrow gauge and shortline railroads throughout Nevada and California.

Our First Group project, V&T 9 & 10

Postby Randy Hees » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Andrew and I are proposing a group build… a common project.

The project we are working towards is construction of the HO scale Rio Grande Models kits for V&T caboose/combine 9 & 10.

The cars were built in 1872 by Kimball Car and Carriage works in San Francisco as cabooses… 3rd class passenger cars… They evolved from side door combine cabooses to miner’s coaches, and one to a cupola caboose. Both are preserved today in the collection of the Nevada State Railroad Museum…

Collectively we will build the models, in more than one version… We will trace their history; discuss techniques, paint styles, trucks, couplers, and more… There will be files detailing research… We may create products to support the project… decals, detail parts… who knows.
Andrew is preparing multiple drawings of paints styles over the years… We will discuss paint in detail, with lots of options for specific paint schemes, with information on specific model paints that can be used..

I plan to use link and pin couplers (Grandt No 72, On2 Gilpin tram couplers) Andrew is leaning towards KD 58’s. Andrew is thinking about new trucks… I am OK with the trucks, but want to add brake beams. We are not sure where the build will lead us, but we expect to end up with built models…

We are using the build as a prototype for more common projects following the earlier builds on “My Large Scale” there called “Master Classes.” We are starting with simpler, more approachable projects… based on existing kits…

We suggest that others either dig their kits our of the shortage lockers, or if you don’t have one you might want to contact Rio Grande Models or your local hobby shop…

Join us on our journey…

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Re: Our First Group project, V&T 9 & 10

Postby MAC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:50 am

The Virginia &Truckee Railroad Historical Society is running a series of articles on Caboose 9/10 in the V&T Telegraph, starting with Issue No. 3. We will be discussing the history of the two cars and include drawings of the four versions that Caboose 9 went through. Both cars have been restored, Caboose 9 to it original configuration and Caboose 10 as the Miners coach. The two cars are at the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City, Nevada.

This will be an interesting project and I look forward to see what Andrew comes up with on the paint renditions. So far what I've seen looks great.

Mike Collins
MAC

Postby railman28 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:48 am

Hi All
I research the V&T to get ideas on modeling a 1880's railroads. Here my HO version of #9 done with the RGM kit.

I added Cal Scale End Platform rails. Decals were printed on my ink jet.

I hope you enjoy
railman28

Postby railman28 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 am

I just get an error message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" when Itry and post a picture.

Bob Harris
railman28

Postby John Coker » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:10 am

I am very glad this great shortline is on this site. It is a personal favorite, and I have done a few paintings of this road. One made the cover of the Gazette a few years back.

I would like to do a model, perhaps of something like cars #20 or 21, if I could find the time. I have a heavy work load this autumn. How were #9 and 10 used in later years?
John Coker

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:18 am

Bob,

I believe I messed up a setting, try posting your attachment again.
I've attached a version of illustration of 9 circa 1876 as a test.
Attachments
VT9-1876.png
Test image
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Randy Hees » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Does anyone know if the Cal-scale end rails are still available? or is there a good substitute? They don't seem to be listed on the Bowser site.

Part of the value of a group build will be identifying specific parts and suppliers.

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby CraigH » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Decals!

We can supply a decaling set for this project in-house. It would be ALPS printed and cover the variants needed for the cars. Obviously the details will need to be ironed out early and as this build develops. The decals would have completely new and accurate artwork.

I can also pre-size the existing HDS Drop Shadow lettering for custom roads if needed. I also have a new D&RG Drop Shadow letter style ready very quickly.http://www.pacificng.com/template.php?page=commerce/hds/index.htm. I will finalize some formal pricing for laying out and supplying the artwork.

As the build matures I will post previews of the V&T decal set.

Craig H
PacificNG
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Postby CraigH » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:04 pm

As an FYI post:
The Rio Grande Models are:
3127 V&T combine #9, with trucks. HO
3127.jpg