PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Our First Group project, V&T 9 & 10

Known as the "Silver Queen of the shortlines", The Virginia & Truckee Railroad operated their own narrow gauge subsidiary: the Carson and Colorado. Additionally the railroad and its officers would be an influence to many narrow gauge and shortline railroads throughout Nevada and California.

Re: Our First Group project, V&T 9 & 10

Postby CraigH » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:08 pm

All,

Has anyone worked up a parts list yet to detail out these cars?
Thanks ahead of time.

CraigH
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Postby CraigH » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:51 pm

OK,

Looks like I'm modeling the kit as the 1873 version.
A Depot Buff trim color on the roof, trucks, and trim over a bright straw yellow body color.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby Randy Hees » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:51 pm

as for the detail list...

I am using Grandt No 72 Gilpin On3 L&P couplers...
I am making a pattern for the washer plate on the body bolster...
I expect to make a jig for the end rails...
I will work up truck end beams, with brake beams, maybe home made castings...

Otherwise Eric's kit is complete... except for paint...
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby Andrew Brandon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:34 am

Over at the V&T site, Kent has updated my illustrations and posted the brief timeline I put together. Much thanks to him for doing it so quickly!

At this point, the illustrations for 9 are updated to the best information I have available. I'd posted some illustrations of #10 before, I would like to make it clear that these are incorrect, based on new information #10 recieved it's letterboard much later than I had previously thought. For all intents and purposes, #9 and #10 were "identical" up until 1908 when #9 became the Construction Sleeper. The illustrations on the V&T site will cover up to 1901 when the cars recieved Sam's couplers, most likely got their platforms raised and a third step added.

Additionally I see that the couplers are listed as Sharon, they should be Tower. I had sent this correction to Kent and I'm sure he'll change it in the future. I suspect the time line will get plenty of alterations in the future.

Here is a direct link to the #9 page: http://www.virginiaandtruckee.com/Car/No09.htm
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby CraigH » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm getting started on V&T Caboose 10. It will be modeled for Andrew's V&T #9 Image. A pale yellow with what looks to be a yellow ochre/yellow brownish/rust trim.
Graphic1.jpg
Artwork by Andrew Brandon.

The Parts in the Rio Grande box:
Parts_1.jpg
Image: Craig Hoefer

Note: the Grandt Line Gilpin Couplers are not included with the Rio Grande kit.

I think the first thing I'll do is clean up the white metal castings.

I'll also seal the Laser Cut wood parts. I'm going for a car in good condition, new paint, and minimal road wear. I'll airbrush Mr. Surfacer. It's a fantastic sandable gray primer paint that will seal the wood pores and reduce the grain.

Passenger cars when newly painted had a smooth finish, none of this fashionable modeler's distressed wood grain look that gets beaten to death in all the magazines.

Lastly, I need to figure out what aftermarket details are needed and a double check on when air breaks were added.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby CraigH » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:03 am

All,

I'm looking for detail images of V&T 9 and 10 so that I can start creating pinstripe decals. The initial focus will be for HO Scale but...the artwork is intended to be infinitely scalable.

Right now I'm focusing on the platforms.

1) What I don't have is the structural shaping of the platform endbeam timber ends, squared off or rounded, does the striping continue into the pocket for the steps and that sort of thing.

2) Details regarding the underside of the roof over the platforms.

3) Framing around the door and fascia piece over the door.

I understand the cars were modified over time and that there were differences. Clearly it will involve distinct sets of linework for each car variant.

Looking at striping color. In HO scale I need to decide if it's worth trying to "match" color on the striping. On hairlines a focus of contrast is more important than a close match so it may be adequate to do simple black lines for light body colors, white for dark body colors. Technically if I were to do say..."red" I have two options. With or without a white base layer. On the lighter cars I might be able to get away without the white. I have to study the darker cars striping colors.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Wheels

Postby Andrew Brandon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:37 am

I ordered a package of Code 88 (Semi Scale) wheels from Intermountain last week. Last night I installed a set in the kit's trucks, now they're as smooth as silk. I have a set of the same size wheelset from NWSL, I do like the NWSL wheels better as they've got more weight, the intermountain sets however, are far cheaper.

I've got a spare set which I will be sending to Craig for his model this coming week.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby CraigH » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:36 pm

All,

Progress:
1. Initial primer-sealer on the wood parts.
2. Initial sanding done. Need to apply an additional coat of sealer on to smooth out the wood grain.

Testing out some paint mixes for color today: Straw Yellow and Buff.

3. Last night I started designing pin-striping decals for the 1873 version since it's the most extravagant. Some of the decals get used in the next variant and possibly later. Regardless, they form the foundation. As the decals progress, I'll great images to share. The various text options will be created to match Andrew's artwork collection. Colors will be as close a match as the ALPS allows.

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby MAC » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm

Graig,

Heres some photos of No. 9 at NSRM.

Mike
C9-198~1.JPG
C9-198~2.JPG