PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Our First Group project, V&T 9 & 10

Known as the "Silver Queen of the shortlines", The Virginia & Truckee Railroad operated their own narrow gauge subsidiary: the Carson and Colorado. Additionally the railroad and its officers would be an influence to many narrow gauge and shortline railroads throughout Nevada and California.

Re: Our First Group project, V&T 9 & 10

Postby CraigH » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:03 am

Mike,

Thanks for those images! Timing's great....I'm working on the colors for that car.

It looks like the yellow can be done with small amounts of Model Master Chrome Yellow (several drops) added to about a quarter bottle of Model Master Tinting White. Working on the number of drops of yellow.

The Trim color, I'm not sure what I'm leaning towards for the primary color yet. Looking at some of the Model Master military browns or dark tans. I'll start with the Dark Tan and add about 20% Tinting White to start and see what happens.

UPDATE on decal art:
I've got the complete line-work essentially done for the 1873 car. Wrapping up text and some other goodies. This artwork can also be used on the first green version, and extended to other later cars as well (using less of the individual line elements and changing the final color.

So, all pin-striping on the body and ends. 90% done.
Line-work adapted for the kit's trucks. 80% done.
Drop shadowed text. 90% Done. Need to check scale.

I still need to look at the later "letterboard" text to complete all the variants.

IF anyone has images:
I NEED Images of the inside face of the endbeams to see how and where the striping ends over the steps.
Craig H
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Postby CraigH » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:31 pm

WIP on Decals for the V&T No. 9 & 10 Cabeese.
V&T 10 Striping Decal.jpg
WIP. All Rights Reserved, etc. Craig Hoefer 2011

Explanations:
This basic artwork covers the striping for all the earlier cars....the line-work elements stay the same but colors change.
Some of the line-work continues through to the later periods, the quantity of line-work reduces over time.

The artwork in the upper left portion...an idea I'm working on to ease edge painting the narrow sides on windows and door panels and keep consistent color.
Basically:
1) Paint the finish color on the parts, both sides to waterproof the wood.
2) Apply the decal to the back face, use decal solvent to snuggle down and adhere the decal to the thin part sides. Don't get the decal on the outside cosmetic face.
3) Trim away the excess waste.

The Truck decals have been adapted to fit the Rio Grand Models Passenger Truck that comes with the kit. There are a couple line-work elements simplified or omitted...They simply wouldn't work on the casting.

Some spare decals added for some that may be difficult.

TO DO:
Starting on the rest of the V&T Passenger Car text for the letter board next and whatever the number variant is/are.
Corner plates (body).
Some extra striping stock for errors, cleanup, etc.
Renumber decal elements and finish placement instructions.
Test fit on the car I'm doing.

PROPOSED PRICE: $10.00 per car for HO Scale. PROPOSED PRICE FOR LATER CARS: $5.00 per car for HO Scale (Far less line-work to print).

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby CraigH » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:23 pm

OK,

So some progress that includes some white metal cleanup, masking and a hefty start on painting parts.

In a nutshell:
1) Trucks: Cleaned up the parting lines and flash. Removed the straps that extend from the outermost corners of the pedestals to the outer truck corners. Now have thin contour (Proto-87 wheels...Thanks Andrew) and Rio Grand castings for breaks (thanks Randy).

2) Paint. Painted the body color and trim color using chrome yellow and white (I'll have to play with the mix but it's about 50/50 each). Trim color was Model Master Brown plus white and a little chrome yellow to warm it up. No idea what the mix is, beyond add a bit of this and that till it felt right. My guess is to start with 1:1 brown and white, mess with it till it tastes good. Using photos of the car shot outside in daylight.

Ran into some interesting issues on the kit which I'll resolve hopefully this week after I study some drawings. Basically, the end and side doors are too wide for the openings...or the other way around. The easy solution and the one I like best will be to add at least one laser cut plank width to each side of the holes for the doors in the car siding. That would create enough width for the door parts' sides to look right. So, remove material from the car sides and repaint the trim...job done.
Image of the side door.
101_0028.jpg

The other issue I'm hitting is the Rio Grande Break beam. The way it's cast it needs to ride at the upper outside quadrant of the wheel. As I recall, it should ride in the lower outside quadrant of the wheel. The casting will only allow for that if mounted upside down IF you want the timber to ride plumb). That in turn will force the removal of the straps that hold it to the beam between the truck side frames (and build some replacements for the detail they represent). I'll see if I can jig up a wheel and break beam for an image.

Once I take car of the doors and do the touch-up paint I'll be ready to test fit the body decals. That'll include most of the trim on this caboose. When I get to the trucks, I'll be able to test fit the truck decal set. When I get to the roof, there's more trim to test fit. When done, it'll include just about 100% of the pinstriping known on the version I'm modeling (and incidentally just about all the striping known to have been used on these cars. The fancy arabesques for the end doors is done and ready to go for the 1878(?) version as well.

Also right after I do the body decal fitting I want to tackle the windows. There should be a wider shelf on the bottom edge. I'll probably use the thin wood from the window/door fret to layer that on. The framing around the glass will be done with styrene. That stock will probably be 0.02 or 0.03 square stock painted trim color and cut to fit and inserted into the side openings. The actual glazing will wait till later.

Decal notes/instructions later. I'll write them as I apply them...trying something unusual in that a bunch of assembly needs to happen after the decals are in place. It'll ease the decal work and provide some features we don't normally see in decals.

CraigH
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby CraigH » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:41 pm

An image to illustrate the doors and window issues on my last post:
Graphic2.jpg

Craig H
Craig Hoefer

CraigH

Postby MAC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:40 pm

Graig,

The side door opening should be 42" wide, trim should be 3 1/4 - 3 1/2" wide. The door is 43 1/2" wide, which gives you 3/4" overlap each side.
The end door opening should be 25 1/4" wide, trim same. The door is 26" wide.
Based on original measurements of the car. Note that the side door was long gone, but I was able to measure the original opening before NSRM restored the car.

Mike
MAC

Postby MAC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Graig,

Windows are:
outside over trim, 22 1/2" wide by 29 1/4" high
Trim, 1 3/4" wide, bottom lip 1"
Glass, 15 1/2" wide by 21 1/2" high.

Mike
MAC

Postby Andrew Brandon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:51 pm

Just a quick progress report, I've been slowly working on getting the sides of my two kits painted. After following Randy's advice of using shellac on the sides, I began painting. Without adequate facilities for an airbrush, I've had to brush paint my model. To do this I am using a mixture of Badger Model Flex paints, I settled on the following combination:

1 & 1/2 Part. - Southern Pacific Armor Yellow
1 Part - Railbox Yellow
1/2 Part - Reefer Yellow

The result pairs up nicely with the shade I'd used on my illustration.
Attachments
cabooses2.jpg
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby MAC » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Looks good Andrew, glad to see some progress.

MAC
MAC

Previous

Return to Virginia & Truckee