PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Locomotives

Known as the "Silver Queen of the shortlines", The Virginia & Truckee Railroad operated their own narrow gauge subsidiary: the Carson and Colorado. Additionally the railroad and its officers would be an influence to many narrow gauge and shortline railroads throughout Nevada and California.

Locomotives

Postby Randy Hees » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:19 am

With all of Eric's really nice kits, I have been thinking about appropriate V&T locomotives...

The oversize AHM locomotives bug me... They are not an option

I hope eventually to have one of the Mogul Men 2-6-0's (alternately I believe that MEW made a 2-6-0, but I haven't seen one for sale in some time)

I just picked up a old "early" tender drive PFM Reno on Ebay... It has an air compressor, so the model is post 1877, but likely pre 1899 when it got driver brakes... PFM also made a version of Reno as it appeared in the 1930's as an oil burner, with straight stack. I know there is a later run with a motor in the boiler... these seem to surface on Ebay with some regularity, at a wide range of prices... they seem reasonably accurate. The early version could with minor changes be Inyo or Genoa

Alternately I am looking at Bachman's Jupiter and 119 models... They seem to be very close to the Baldwin 4-4-0's in general dimensions... The domes can be easily replaced. With a good paint job, new domes, stack, headlight, possibly a cross head pump (depends on the target year) or a air compressor (again, target year) a builder's plate between the drivers (maybe a for Shady Grove) and a good set of decals (Wonder who?)

I am working with Craig to make at least two sets of early decals for both the PFM and Bachman locomotives, first a set of Baldwin Style No 1, for the as built... then a set of decals for the 1880's when the locomotives were in a CP style red/brown, with yellow/gold "Virginia & Truckee" spelled out on the tender.

The Bachman engines may also work for Dayton and Columbus... more research is needed...

For the 4-4-0's we have the NSRM Restoration Feasibility study for Dayton and Inyo (one study, two locomotives) I assume CSRM has a study for Genoa.

For those interested in a later era... we have the PFM late Reno, as well as PFM's 25, 26, and 27... The MacKeen has been done, but is hard to find...
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Re: Locomotives

Postby John Coker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:44 pm

Randy, i have a few V&T pieces. I have the Beaver Creek #26 and 27 in the wood box. They are exquisite.
Also have the short rpo and the NCB caboose. Am looking for a "modern " Reno #11 and a #25.
John Coker

Postby Andrew Brandon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Randy,

MEW did make a model of the "Tahoe", they do show up on ebay from time to time but get snatched up quickly. The model has an extended smokebox, so if you're doing the locomotive pre-1907 it'd need to be shortened. Otherwise it is one of the better V&T models on the market detail wise from what I've seen.

I have 2 PFM Reno models and a spare tender. Once I finish the passenger car lettering I'll be getting to work on locomotive lettering for the V&T stuff. I suspect you and Craig are going to flush out the earliest forms of Baldwin schemes and the V&T "Style 1" correct? If so that will make things easier as I'll handle the 18890s - 1917 style. I also had a request for the later V&T lettering in Aluminum rather than the Gold that is regularly run in, I believe sure this style was never applied to locomotives in "gold".

Back to the PFMs: I've managed to pick mine up fairly inexpensively, both models (and spare) are the early tender drive version. Off the top of my head, here are some inaccuracies I've noted with the models:

The bell on both of my versions is the standard Baldwin style bell, not the ornate polished brass job that 11,12 and 22 wore. The correct part is available from Cary.

Tender tool boxes are flipped backwards, they open the wrong way.

The drivers are "out there" in terms of detail and number of spokes, short of someone creating the correct drivers there isn't much that can be done here.

Nearly all of the tender frame detail is incorrect, for tender steps I am using PSC "C-16 tender steps". With a little care and filing one could get them to look closer to proto.

Depending on the year you're looking at, the pilot needs to go.

Beyond these "glaring" issues in my mind, they can be made into accurate models. I'll have to check my sketchbook to see what notes I've got in there on these locomotives. I wanted to try and get my versions of "Reno" and "Genoa" done this year but didn't get the chance. I'd been debating trying to convert mine to be boiler drive with detailed back-heads and was given a suggestion against it. Has anyone seen a conversion like I am describing? I'd be interested to know how bad the pulling power is.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby Randy Hees » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:50 pm

The Reno I just purchased is Tender drive... I expect to keep it tender drive, with a better motor, and a finer motor shaft... and a backhead...

That way I can add weight to the loco... and not worry about the size of the motor. I think Round Bell has a kit, but couldn't find it on his web site...

The model I just bought has a sunflower stack... I will likely change it out for a Cal-Scale (now Bowser) stack (originally for Balboa's Jupiter) I want to change the air compressor as well... it looks primitive to my eye, and too large (I believe the original compressor was a 6"... I am not sure if it is available commercially... ) and the bell as you suggest...

Inyo was delivered in Baldwin Style 1... Reno & Genoa predated the lettering system, instead were painted "Best Passenger" but was close to what we know as "Wine, Style 1"

Reno is class 8/27.5c 350, Genoa class 8/26c 33, Inyo 8/26c 78... so Genoa and Inyo are twins... Reno slightly larger... but appears close enough for an HO model.

I was looking at the NSRM report for Dayton and Inyo... Dayton has some interesting paint details... lots of cream... on the cylinders, on the running boards... The Baldwins all have more brass. If we can make the Bachman locos work for Dayton and Columbus, we can do all the 4-4-0's pretty cheaply... but still we will have mostly passenger locomotives...
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Postby MAC » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:41 pm

The Reno, Genoa & Inyo are the same with minor difference to the Inyo. The drivers on the Inyo are 57" vs 56 3/4" on the Reno & Genoa, There are three hand rail posts on the Inyo and the cylinder front covers are plain. The Inyo's tener is somewhat different, mainly in the steps and no rear tool box when ordered.

Baldwin changed their classifiaction system between the Reno and Genoa. I have a copy of the original 27 1/2C drawing and it also contains the 8.26.C.2 class on it. Theres a note on it for the Inyo (Heating Surface for 46" Boiler 8-26 C-78 1875). The original Baldwin drawing, number 20 shows 60" drivers and a straight boiler and the standard Baldwin bell, so changes were made for these locomotives.

Mike Collins
MAC

Return to Virginia & Truckee