PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

V&T #12 questions

Known as the "Silver Queen of the shortlines", The Virginia & Truckee Railroad operated their own narrow gauge subsidiary: the Carson and Colorado. Additionally the railroad and its officers would be an influence to many narrow gauge and shortline railroads throughout Nevada and California.

V&T #12 questions

Postby John Coker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:08 am

I have a new commission of #12 descending between the miners' union hall and the firehouse at Gold Hill. It would be prior to its retirement in 1908.
.Was the locomotive ever converted from wood to oil? It sat in the roundhouse with a flanged stack. Did it ever run with it on? or did it last run with the sunflower stack? Looks like it sat in the shop for some time. I am guessing valve problems, and they stopped work midway through heavy repair, and possible conversion to oil. The 1930s photo shows no oil bunker in place.
John Coker

Re: V&T #12 questions

Postby Brian Norden » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:05 am

V&T #12 Genoa was always a wood burner. It always operated with the "sunflower" style stack; but for a few years in storage it had a straight stack after it's stack went to a engine sold to a movie company. Then it received another sunflower stack when it was sold.

The newest issue of the quarterly publication of the V&T Historical Society has a response to just this question along with several photographs.
Brian Norden
Brian Norden

Re: V&T #12 questions

Postby John Coker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:36 am

Brian,once again thank you for your excellent historical resource. It helps me make the accurate paintings that is what i feel makes my work stand out from the pack. Also, thank you Andrew for the coach info, which is crcucial to doing this painting.
John Coker

Return to Virginia & Truckee