Bausman's Rhinoceros and other early ng locos

Randy Hees

Bausman's Rhinoceros and other early ng locos

Post by Randy Hees » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:44 pm

Conventional thought suggests that the first narrow gauge railroad in the US was the D&RG... and their locomotives the first built, but there are other earlier narrow gauge locomotives locomotive built.

Boston locomotive builder Souther (Globe Locomotive Works) is known to have built some 38" gauge 0-4-0t locomotives, for a contractor in Boston, 3 of which apparently sold to the Union Pacific to be used to build the approaches of their Missouri River bridge. While in use on the UP they were named General Sherman and General Sheridan and General Grant. The three were rebuilt to 36" gauge and passed on to the Colorado Central by 1872, and for 6 months were the only locomotives on the Colorado Central. As far as can be determined they were not numbered on the Colorado Central. Newspapers call two of them "Punch" and "Judy". Eventually the three were returned to the UP presumably for scrapping the first in 1876 the other two, presumably Punch and Judy, in 1879. It has been suggested that Judy was sold to the Texas & St Louis, where she becomes No 2, Judy... It appears that Punch was also resold, to the Dayton, Sheridan and Grande Ronde Railroad (later Oregonian).

Another early narrow gauge locomotive (or two) have come to my attention... these from an article in Angus Sinclar's Locomotive Engineering...
FIRST WORK OF THE PITTSBURGH LOCOMOTIVE WORKS
A Curiosity in Locomotive Design
The locomotive shown by the accompanying photograph may be of interest both because it is the first one upon which any work was done at the Pittsburgh Locomotive Works and as an example of the vagaries into which a departure from standard practice can lead an inexperienced designer It is safe to say that it was the first of its type and has never been duplicated. The erection of the original shops of the Pittsburgh Locomotive Works was commenced in 1866 and the writer was at or that time draftsman and man of all work for the late Thatcher Perkins engineer and superintendent of the company. Before the large machine shop was finished Mr Perkins put a small portable engine and boiler and a few tools in the smith shop building and took a contract to rebuild two small engines which had been used on narrow gage coal roads in the vicinity of Pittsburgh one of which belonging to an operator named Bausman and which we nicknamed Bausman's rhinoceros was the engine shown in the cut. I do not know where or by whom it was designed and built and thought when I first saw it that it would be much better to put it in the scrap pile than to attempt to make anything approaching a practical engine out of it but Mr Perkins did not agree with me and we took hold of the job. No drawings of the work have been preserved and I have only been able to find a few of my sketches which show it was for a 3 foot gage with 24 inch driving wheels and that the boiler was 33 diameter at front end. The curious feature about this engine was that it had no main or side rods the piston rods extending out at both ends of the cylinders and being connected to slotted crossheads fitted with sliding blocks in which the crank pins worked. The valve gear was of the Carmichael type used on steamboats in Scotland very early in the present century. The whole outfit was unmechanical to the last degree and a most unpromising subject for rebuilding. We retained the boiler wheels and axles threw away the truck and put in new frames and main and side rod connections of the ordinary type Link motion valve gear could not be used and there was not even room for V hooks so that we were obliged to use drop hooks and starting bars and it was a difficult job to get them up The engine was put into as good shape as such a thing could be brought to and the night before I left the company's service I worked the starting bars and found that the hooks dropped on the pins all right which was the last I saw of the engine but I afterwards learned that the company did not get their money back either on her or on the other engine which we rebuilt owing to a misunderstanding as to the terms of the contract. It is hardly likely that a job of this kind would be offered at the present day and less likely that any builder would take hold of it if it was.

J Snowden Bell Pittsburgh Pa

January 1901 I3 LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEERING
Pittsburgh Locomotive works was in part owned by Andrew Carnagie... It was founded in 1865. It became the Pittsburgh works of American Locomotive Company in 1901 and was closed in 1916.

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/