PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

The Barrel Railroad, Kentucky

The Barrel Railroad, Kentucky

Postby Randy Hees » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:56 pm

This topic has long been in search of a suitable, significant topic to start discussions... and I believe I have found that topic or rather railroad...

The Glenmore & Elsewhere Railroad

1958-railroad-barrel-train-kentucky-tavern-whiskey-glenmore-distillery-photo-ad-cf38496caee26cbaefa7bb39ba689905.jpg
ad found on Ebay
1958-railroad-barrel-train-kentucky-tavern-whiskey-glenmore-distillery-photo-ad-cf38496caee26cbaefa7bb39ba689905.jpg (34.91 KiB) Viewed 5679 times

The Glenmore Distillery in Owensboro Kentucky had an in plant 36” gauge railroad, with locomotives lettered for the “Glenmore & Elsewhere R R”, but occasionally called the “Barrel Railroad” or “Barrel train”.

The distillery survived prohibition by making medicinal whiskey… so was well poised to resume sales with the end of the great National experiment.

The railroad was apparently used to transport barreled aged whiskey. Two Plymouth locomotives were purchased in 1936. The railroad was included in a 1958 magazine ad, so it is assumed it was operating at that time.

Their brands included Glenmore, Old Thompson, Old Forrester, Kentucky Tavern, and Old Yellowstone Bourbons

Known locomotives

Plymouth c/n 3840, blt 5/18/1936, RHL-2, 4wh, 3.5 tons, Hercules OX engine, Diesel Mechanical
Built for Glenmore Distilleries Company, Owensboro, KY, lettered “Glenmore & Elsewhere R R”

Plymouth c/n 3840, blt 5/18/1936, RHL-2, 4wh, 3.5 tons, Hercules OX engine, Diesel Mechanical
Built for Glenmore Distilleries Company, Owensboro, KY, lettered “Glenmore & Elsewhere R R”
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

Return to Other Narrow Gauge