PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Introductions

New to the forum? Stop in and read the rules, FAQ and post an introduction.

Introductions

Postby pcngadmin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:17 am

We encourage new members to take a moment to tell us a little bit about themselves--who they are, where they're from, and why they chose to join our community.

If you are going to start an introduction thread, please make it worthwhile for others to read. New threads that fail to provide any meaningful information (eg. "Hi, I'm new!", "Hello from Disneyland", "Hey, say hi to me.") will just be deleted, and you will be welcomed with an infraction.

And to all members, please don't use the Introductions Forum to pad (increase) your post count by welcoming each and every new member. It is not necessary for everyone to say "hello" or for you to say "hello" to everyone. Members abusing this welcoming privilege will have all of their posts deleted and infractions added for adding posts of no value.
pcngadmin
Site Admin

Re: Introductions

Postby CraigH » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi all, welcome to PacificNG.com's Forum.

I'm one of your hosts.
My railroading interest is primarily Northern California with a heavy emphasis on the North Pacific Coast.
I'm active in primary research on locomotive and car manufacturers, period finishes and similar subjects.
Periodically you'll find me involved down at Ardenwood with the SPCRR working on equipment.
Modeling: On3 right now. Branching into the 1830's-late 1840's.
Formerly a wooden ship modeler and scale R/C ships and subs. Mastered for a number of manufacturers in that area.
Spent a number of years in the prototyping business, primarily high end resin casting.
Currently spend a lot of time in AutoCAD, mapping, civil, and architectural work. Every so often drawings to guide lasers for laser cut kit design.

Starting HDS, Craig Hoefer Design Studios. ALPS decal work, and more.
Craig Hoefer

HDS Decals and other amusing projects
PacificNG.com co-conspirator
CraigH

Postby spngdave » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:45 pm

Good evening all (anyone out there yet?)

I'm an avid Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge historian, modeler and all around nut. I was told about this new site by a friend. When I saw that Kyle Wyatt and Herman Darr were contributors (I know them both), I figured someone should be around to keep an eye on them. Seriously though, they are good folk.

I also have interest in other California narrow gauges, so having information in one central location will be a treat.

I think this site has a good premise and I'll do what I can to promote it and contribute to it.

Good luck to all involved!

Dave Good
Sacramento, CA
spngdave

Postby r3feetr » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:12 pm

My name is John Hall. I have just joined the ranks of the retired and hope to soon begin my HOn3 layout of the South Pacific Coast, circa 1886, just prior to the acquisition by the Southern Pacific. I am looking forward to lively discussions about non-Colorado narrow gauge.
r3feetr

Postby sacval2 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:27 am

Hello, My name is Edward Shatto. I have just joined this site. My interest is in the Narrow Gauge are Nevada County Narrow Gauge, Michigan-California Lumber Co., the Diamond & Caldor Lumber Co. and other Californian RR. Looking forward to the discussions about non-Colorado narrow gauge. Thank you for making this site. Good Luck!

Edward Shatto
Sacramento, Ca
sacval2

Postby Tankcreek » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:04 pm

Hi Group

My name is Dick Patton, I'm a D&RGW On3 modeler (you may have seen my layout back in Maryland featured in Model Railroader Oct 2001, and FineScale Railroader Narrow Gauge Annual 2005). Sorry to say that layout is now gone, as I have (glad to say) retired and moved from Maryland to Grass Valley, California. I am learning a lot about the Nevada County Narrow Gauge and Herman Darr has been my teacher during the two years I have lived here. Currently, I am Vice Chairman and Head of Restoration at the Nevada County Narrow Gauge RR Museum here in Grass Valley. My current, personal project there is to restore the NCNGRR 2-6-0 #5 to its 1941 pre-Hollywood condition, as well as the Westside Lumber Co tool car. Herman has been a big help in this, providing photos, drawings and on-site consultation.

Great idea having a non-Colorado narrow Gauge group and the list of contributors is very impressive. Any info you can pass along I will be grateful to learn, and vice-versa.

Dick Patton, Grass Valley, CA
Tankcreek

Postby Doug MacLeod » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 pm

I'm a 0n3 NCNG and SPC modeler, mainly building rolling stock and locomotives. From the mid 1960's to the 1980 collected and printed negarives from anyone I could borrow negatives of NCNG and have more than 500 NCNG photos.

I have a good collection of Baldwin Locomotive n.g. drawings and reference material. The drawings are for nine of NCNG locomotives and most of the SPC and many of the NPC, C&C, NCO (SPNG), NSL(ex UN) locomotives. I would like to trade drawings with other people that have locomotive drawings of ones I am looking for.
Doug MacLeod, Roseville, CA
Doug MacLeod

Postby curlyp » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:23 am

Hello All,
I am Paul Deis. I model a freelanced 1:20.3 Garden Railroad based partially on the Pacific Coast Railroad in San Luis Obispo in the 1920's and I model the SP coast line in 1949 in HO. I am a crew member on the Pacific Coast Railroad Company, a 3 foot narrow gauge railroad at the Santa Margarita Ranch in Santa Margarita CA. The railroad is currently in mothballs due to the economic conditions. I look forward to sharing information with this group.
curlyp

Postby Rich Schiffman » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:30 am

My name is Rich Schiffman and I live in Conroe, a small town outside of Houston, Texas. I became interested in the NPC while building a 1/20.3 scale Mason Bogie. Research showed a standard gauge Mason ran here as part of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio. It was a rebuild of the Mason ordered by the NPC but proved too heavy for the NG line. The Bully Boy and the 0-4-4 caught my eye. I was hooked. So guys, here I am. I look forward to learning more on all the lines posted.

Thanks for the new site.

Rich Schiffman
dartco381@consolidated.net
Rich Schiffman

Postby rbrennan » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Hello all...

Richard Brennan... San Leandro, California (and Pestszentlörinc, Budapest XVIII, Hungary)

My NG interest started with a copy of Oil Lamps and Iron Ponies, by Frederic Shaw... bought new by my father in 1949, and first read in earnest about 1959. The equipment drawings really captured my attention, and I fell in love with the South Pacific Coast because of the local proximity, as I was born & raised in Palo Alto.

Fast-forward a few decades into an On30 layout group... and the Yosemite Short Line became an obvious focus, along with the Molino Timber Co. I was also introduced to the Hungarian "Kisvasút" forest railways by my wife's family.

I now live a few hundred feet off of the SP Mulford Line, near the former SPC "West San Lorenzo" flagstop.
rbrennan

Next

Return to New Members