PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Introductions

New to the forum? Stop in and read the rules, FAQ and post an introduction.

Re: Introductions

Postby Paul Boschan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm

Randy,

I can't imagine a better suited, more talented group to help with the tram. Just wanted to get in a plug. Mr. Shore, you can't go wrong with the SPCRR.

All the best,

Paul
Paul Boschan

Postby Dave » Fri May 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Hi, all:

I've been interested in narrow gauge since the early 1970s but since 1990 have focused on CA and Nevada narrow gauge lines, specifically researching the M&SV, the SC&F, the Nevada Central and the Austin City railways. I also have spent time on researching lines outside the US including the 75cm Patagonian Express in Argentina, the Welshpool & Llanfair, British 2' industrial lines, and other oddities out there. Since 2009 I've been dabbling in sporadic research on the State Belt Railway in SF, pre-1906 earthquake, chasing the mad idea of building an HO/HOn3 model of 4 blocks of North Point street as they existed circa 1903. Lately an interest in the Colorado Central's operation in Central City in the 1890s has grabbed my research time as an alternate modeling subject to the State Belt concept. Currently it's a toss-up between the two. Likely neither will be built, but I do enjoy the hunt regardless.

Dave Eggleston
Dave

Postby saveitforparts » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Gabe, I'm an amateur historian and railroad enthusiast originally from Alaska. I grew up in a small (ghost) town which at one time had a mine railroad with a small 0-4-0T steam locomotive. I've been interested in railroads since I was a kid, we had an HO layout that along with our appliances was powered by a diesel generator, as we were off-grid. We also had parts of a marine railroad in our yard, left over from a previous owner of the property.

Recently I began documenting the history of my hometown on my website. I was able to track down the locomotive's present whereabouts and visit the owner, but I've not been able to discover much about it's origins or history. Randy Hees helped me track down a few things and suggested I sign up here. While researching this particular locomotive and railway, I began stumbling across many more small railroads and trams in the state, many of which are poorly documented or not documented outside old USGS publications. I found so many that I decided to list them on my website. I hope to expand on and organize this research in the future, some of the details about years, gauges, owners, and rolling stock can be "fuzzy", so I am open to any corrections or suggestions! For those who might be interested, the page is at http://saveitforparts.wordpress.com/?page_id=1594 (The main part of the site has the history of my hometown and some other projects).

Cheers,
-Gabe Emerson
saveitforparts

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:48 pm

Hello world! (Old programmer joke)

I am Richard Towle - a distant relative of the Towle Bros Railroad and mills folk.

Interested in Northern California History. Been obsessing lately with the California Digital Newspaper Collection at http://cdnc.ucr.edu

Found an interesting tidbit about a railroad that never was, "The Giant Gap and Rubicon Railroad": http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SFC19061222.2.134&srpos=2&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN-Rubicon+railroad-----

image.jpg
Half of what is available on the CDNC site.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Richard,

Welcome aboard!

You're in the right place, many of us have CDNC addictions as well. :lol:
In the coming year we will be adding a special newspaper database that will help us organize these news articles. As with most projects, it's a matter of finding the time to get it done. Once that happens, I will be importing our transcribed (or saved) clippings to it.

As to the Giant Gap and Rubicon, I've only heard about it in passing. Fickworth's "California Railroads" seems to have the exact same info as the article image you shared. The second article had some helpful information, notablythe incorporation filing date (Dec 1906) and it looks like it didn't last long. The charter was apparently forfeited at some point during 1908.
The State Archives should have a copy of the articles of incorporation on file, and that should provide a little more information. I am curious as to the plan for this railroad, Gorge is fairly remote and Rubicon is even further! The only raw goods coming out would have to be lumber or some sort of mining product.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Previous

Return to New Members