PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Introductions

New to the forum? Stop in and read the rules, FAQ and post an introduction.

Re: Introductions

Postby ncdodaveNPC#21 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:43 pm

Hello Everyone!
I used to Live in Occidental (Howards)Ca. I'm now in Medford OR and am in the starting process of modeling NPC#21 in 2 1/2" scale. When I was growing up I used to walk short sections between Freestone and Camp Meeker, including Browns Canyon Trestle before it was burned down. I still visit a camp, North of Camp Meeker that has 2 old tunnels on its property. Theres nothing like Narrow Gauge Railroading and whenever I go home to visit mom and dad I be sure to visit a few locations of the old road bed. I'll try to get some pics and post them the next time I visit Occidental. By the way I do remember the old water tower in Freestone and the Union Hotel is still in operation today in Occidental.
ncdodaveNPC#21

Postby Andrew Brandon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:28 pm

Dave,

That sure sounds like a lovely project you've got going. We've got a sub forum for you to share your project on, I am sure there are many folks here that would love to see it, I know I would.

Great to have you aboard!
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby GregMaxwell » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 am

Hello,
My primary interest is in Nevada’s mining railroads. I also have a fondness for the Nevada County Narrow Gauge and other California narrow gauge lines. My main outlet for these interests has been in collecting photos and doing primary research. I am also a so-so modeler and dabble in On3 and HOn3.
Regards,
Greg Maxwell
Vancouver, WA
GregMaxwell

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Greg,

It is good to have you on board. I look forward to picking your brain with questions in the future. :lol:
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Postby royceterous » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Guys (and girls if there are any). I live in Santa Barbara, CA, and am scratch building a live steam model of spng #18. A slow process, given that I have the demands on my time that many of you suffer too, but progress is being made. Oh, it's 1:20.3, so it runs on gauge one track. Or at least it will when completed. I have the chassis and equalized suspension mostly done. The driver patterns have not been cast yet, so it sits on temporary drivers. And I'm working on the tender trucks lately. The tender frame is nearly completed but needs something to ride on. Having this site is a great resource. I have many photos that I have taken over the years of the prototype so if anyone is in need of further detailing I might be able to help.
royceterous

Postby bjornl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:35 am

Hello Everybody

My name is Björn and I come from Sweden. My interest in live steam is relatively recent I must admit;
I have only been active for little more than a year.

I am active in a Swedish preservation railway, JTJ (http://www.jtj.org) which is what remains of the old DONJ or
Dala Ockelbo, Norrsundets railway” in the northern part of Sweden. But it is quite some remains as a lot of the
railroad structures remain intact and in the hands of the JTJ.

Also the most interesting locomotives and rolling stock remains. Primarily two of DONJ:s Swedish built 0-6-6-0 Mallets.
he biggest mallet there ever was in Sweden (thou no bigger than Baldwin’s logging Mallets I guess).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynv-NIDc6IE
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpcuk...eature=related (the second half)

DONJ was a 3' gauge railroad, but not international 3' gauge witch equals 914 mm metric but 3 old Swedish feet
which equals 891 mm, a gauge that I think is unique for Sweden.

I also have an interest in model building and when I started to become active in JTJ I decided to take up that
interest again so now I build computer models for the Trainz simulator.

My current project involves the Mallets and it is nearing completion.

Next up is a loco more familiar to you I would think, a Baldwin 0-6-2 tank engine. Or I guess as Baldwin would have said, 8-18 1/3 D.

Sweden only imported 27 American steam engines (Baldwin’s and Richmond locomotive works) and only one of them was
a Narrow gauge loco, No 6 LINGHED. Linghed was also the most long lived of all the US imports. She served up until 1959, almost 60 years.

Linghed witch had Baldwin build number 17634 was ordered in 1899 to fill an almost desperate gap in traction power for DONJ where the
traffic had increased dramatically. (At the same time all the Swedish manufacturers had full order books and waiting times or 1,5 years or so).
Almost all the US imported locomotives came to Sweden around this time.

She was delivered in 1900 and had a short time of glory as DONJ:s most powerful line locomotive until 1906 when DONJ acquired a number
of bigger and more powerful locos. After that she was relegated to lighter duties in mixed traffic and switching.

When I build models I want them to be as accurate as possible and for Swedish locomotives research is easy with museums, preservation railways
and archives close at hand. But a Baldwin, not so easy…

I already have the existing erecting drawing and detail drawings from DeGolyer as well as some Swedish drawings.
I have also located Builder’s photos and Builder’s Card with the specs for her.

So to some extent I have quite a lot of material to start with. But there is a lot missing, there are holes in my knowledge about Baldwin locos
big enough to drive several freight trains through.

That is why I am seeking contact with this forum as I believe that you possess all this knowledge that I need to acquire and I have
quite a few questions I an hoping to be able to ask here.

Yours / Björn
bjornl

Postby Paul Boschan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Greetings,

I model 3-rail O-gauge, not much opportunity for narrow gauge, but I do have an On-30 Climax I intend on using in a logging scene. I worked for the Roaring Camp and Big Trees Narrow Gauge Railroad from 1990-2000. I owned a small boiler and restoration shop for a number of years where we worked on two large projects for an Anaheim, California theme park. Today I am the Director of Codes and Standards for a heat exchanger manufacturer/service provider where we have built or repaired a few locomotive boilers. I am a member of the ASME Committee on Power Boilers, Subgroup Locomotive Boilers. Our subgroup is currently working on a new part of the ASME Code specifically for locomotive boilers.

All the best,

Paul Boschan
Paul Boschan

Postby Solomani » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:11 pm

Paul,

You sound like a great resource for this group! welcome!

-John
Solomani

Introductions

Postby farallon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:42 pm

Hello,

My name is Jonathan Shore and I work for the United States Fish and Wildlife Service on the Farallon National Wildlife Refuge. The Farallon Islands are an island group located approximately 30 miles off of the coast of San Francisco, California.

Southeast Farallon Island has a rich history of human occupation dating back to the 1820's. Part of that history is a narrow gauge 1,140 foot rail cart or tramway system that was probably installed in the late 19th Century by the United State Navy. The rails and cart have been replaced and repaired over the course of more than 100 years, but still serves a vital purpose in maintaining the islands infrastructure.

Currently, the island is closed to the public, but is occupied year-round by biological researchers studying and monitoring nesting seabirds, marine mammals, sharks, salamanders, plants, and insects.

Access to the islands is very difficult. The islands are rocks rising sharply from the Pacific Ocean. The area is characterized by heavy fog, drastic fluctuations in water level (swell), high winds, and sudden changes in ocean state. These all combine to make boat landings hazardous and often impossible. There is no dock facility on the island; cargo and personnel are unloaded by use of a derrick crane, and a labor-intensive transfer from a shuttle boat. Once on land, cargo can then be moved to the houses utilizing the rail cart system.

At this time, the rail cart is just about on it's last axle (no pun intended, quite literally) and it needs to be replaced. Because the wheels and axles are so corroded we fear the entire cart will have to be replaced, not just certain parts of it.

I have attached some photos of the rail cart, the path, and the facilities that it services. I am curious if you know anyone who might have some parts to a narrow gauge rail system and could assist us with finding these parts, and possibly even volunteer to assist with the repair work on the island.

Please let me know of your thoughts, any information you have may prove useful. I look forward to hearing from someone.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Shore
Attachments
Farallon_Rail Cart.jpg
The Farallon Rail Cart.
Farallon_Rail Cart Path.jpg
SEFI rail cart path.
Farallon facilities.jpg
Southeast Farallon Island facilities including rail cart path.
farallon

Farllon Ry

Postby Randy Hees » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi Johnathon,

We, the Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources, better known as the SPCRR operate a railroad museum and usually horse powered railroad at Ardenwood Historic Farm in Fremont. We specialize in 19th century wooden railroad cars. We have some parts from a apricot tramway that may be appropriate, and are pretty good at creating new, old parts, either through traditional sand casting or blacksmith work. I personally have some access to the pattern collection at the Knight foundry, which includes mine car wheels. We can probably help you either make something that will work, and or rebuild your current car.

I am also familiar with historic preservation and documentation, of both railroad and structures if needed.

You can reach me at work 510 791 4196, or at Randyhees@gmail.com

The SPCRR has a web site at www.spcrr.org

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/
Randy Hees

PreviousNext

Return to New Members