PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

New member introduction

New to the forum? Stop in and read the rules, FAQ and post an introduction.

New member introduction

Postby Ron Grau » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:23 pm

My name is Ron Grau. Some of you know me.

I am a member of the Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Historical Society.
I found out about this group at the SPNGHS convention, this year in Newark.

I am 65 years old, and have been a C & C / SPng fan since I was 12 years old.
In the last 50+ years, I have accumulated a fairly lage collection of SPng books, slides, and photos.
I model the SPng in Sn3, and 1:20.3 (Fn3). Lately, I have not done much with Sn3; it has all been large scale.

My wife and I have built an outdoor garden railroad to "loosely" model the SPng. We converted our
back yard to have the "Phoenix look", a rock and cactus garden. Our railroad is named the Cactus Gulch.
It is roughly a 25 by 25 foot loop around the back yard. In my alternate version of history, the
Cactus Gulch is a fictitious, western desert railroad, which connects the historical Death Valley Railroad with
the historical SPng. This way I can do some freelancing, plus historically accurate modeling.

We bought Accucraft engines 8 & 9. I just finished super detailing
and weathering, both engines 8 & 9 . SPng number 8 is my favorite SPng engine.
My next project will be to build the duckbill combine coach 400. I just finished kitbashing an A-frame gondola.
I will be glad to sent photos, if anyone is interested.

My wife and I are hikers and campers. We have a four-wheel drive pick up truck with camper shell. We like to
camp out on the old C &C, hike, and explore the remaining roadbed. Our long term goal, is to walk
the entire length of the C & C roadbed from Mound House to Keeler. At this point, I can honestly say that we have
done the roadbed, from Keeler to Schurz, a distance of roughly 225 miles. If we ever finish it, we will let you know.
Our backyard, contains many relics that we have picked up on the way.

I look forward to participating with this interesting group,
Ron Grau
Ron Grau

Return to New Members