PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Fn3 Live Steam & Carter Brothers boxcars

New to the forum? Stop in and read the rules, FAQ and post an introduction.

Fn3 Live Steam & Carter Brothers boxcars

Postby Chester » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Hello Everybody,

My name is Chester and I've been reading this site for quite sometime and thought you mite like to hear some news concerning Carter boxcars.

Last year I bought my first live steam locomotive. I'm 65 and I felt it was time to fulfill a promise I made to myself back at age 13 when I was introduced to Live Steam and that was someday I would own a locomotive. As I looked around at all the locomotives that were available, I came across Accucraft's 4-4-0 live steamer in Fn3. Boy did my eyes open wide when I saw it. Well I bought one and I am in the process of detailing her following NCNG's #1 after she was converted to oil but was still using the acetylene fuel for the headlight. :P Now I needed some freight cars for her to pull.

You all remember back when Boone Morrison had those On3 Carter Boxcar kits made? Well, it just so happens that the company who did the kits, Deerfield River Laser, is only a few miles from me and I know the owner. I wrote to him asking if he still had the drawings and such and asked if it would be possible to cut out the car kit in Fn3 and he said yes. Last week I got an email from Ed Fillon, who is the cutter, to say the first is ready to go and I should see the first sample in two weeks. Now these kits are going to be wood only. Hartford Products just so happens to have available a short kit, no wood, for the 28' Carter boxcar and the ventilated version too. Bob also produces the 3'8" Carter truck as well as the 4' version. So by combining Deerfield Rivers wood kit and Hartford's boxcar kit with the 3'8" truck instead of the 4', you now have a fully detailed 24' Carter Brothers boxcar in Fn3. Cool don't ya think? 8-)

I am not by any means a fan of the D&RGW & RGS. That's all people model, talk narrow gauge and what ever else those railroad do for them. Give me the Calif. narrow gauge roads any day. The S.P.C and the NCNG are my favorites. Now I live out here on the east coast in Massachusetts and in thinking about a name for my railroad, I came up with Hampshire County Narrow Gauge RR. I live in Hampshire County in Mass so it just sounded good, but it is truly a Calif. railroad.

Well that's about it. Keep up the good work with this site.

Chester Louis SA #64
Hampshire County Narrow Gauge
Chester

Re: Fn3 Live Steam & Carter Brothers boxcars

Postby Andrew Brandon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Chester,

Welcome to the forum!
I am glad to hear that the Deerfield kit has gotten a new lease on life. Is Ed going to be reissuing the kit? I can imagine there are a few people out there who would be interested in one. I will talk to Craig about reissuing the decal sets that sold with the On3 kit, he and I made those up for that run.

I'd like to see how your conversion of the Accucraft 4-4-0 turns out. I've been thinking about getting one myself. Right now I have an Accucraft Ruby that I am in the process of converting to Sonoma Valley RR #1 "Sonoma", but I don't have much in the way of progress to show off.
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Return to New Members