Boxcar move this weekend

North American Narrow Gauge; West of the Rockies (including Canada; Mexico).
Andrew Brandon

Boxcar move this weekend

Post by Andrew Brandon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Members of the NCNG Museum in Nevada City will be headed down to the Owens Valley this weekend to move newly acquired SP boxcar #130, formerly LTR&T #4. I'll be headed south with them Friday morning, I'll do my best to take photos of the car and of the trip itself. Additionally I'll be over to photograph equipment at the Laws RR museum for the site. If you need a detail shot let me know!
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!

Randy Hees

Re: Boxcar move this weekend

Post by Randy Hees » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Andrew,

Photos (drawings) of the bolster, Queen posts, joint between the side sills and end beams, and truss rod washers.

I am comparing Carter and Hammond construction styles.

Randy
Randy Hees

Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
Railway Preservation News http://www.rypn.org
Chasing old trains where ever I may find them...
http://randyhees.blogspot.com/

Daniel Maxwell

Post by Daniel Maxwell » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:58 am

boxcar.jpg
Successful arrival of #130 at Nevada City, CA on SP 4'0 archbar trucks.

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:49 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting an update here.

Honestly, I wear too many hats.

Excepting a few minor issues and a highway closure, we had a relatively stress free move. Saturday morning we met with Dave Mull and several members of the C&C group out of Independence. They took us up to the Ranch in the Alabama Hills where the boxcar was and they began clearing brush and assisting in getting the car prep'd for loading. My hat goes off to Dave and his crew who had the tools and equipment ready before hand. Nothing like being prepared! Once the car was loaded on a truck that our local Robinson Industries had sent down, (The Robinson family has long been active in the Historical Society and provided shipping for nearly all of our equipment moves at the museum). we relaxed for the evening and got an early start on the trip home Sunday. We brought the car back up Highway 395 which brought many looks on the trip. The car passed through Carson City (in front of NSRM) and spent about an hour back "home" in Truckee while we were stuck in the road closure traffic. We wound up taking an alternate route to bypass the road closure heading up Highway 89 to Sierraville and then up to Highway 49 which we then took down to Nevada City. The trip through Highway 49 was a memorable trip as were the looks as the boxcar passed through the small towns. I particularly remember a couple hippies hanging out in North San Juan, mouths agape, watching as this strange sight made its way through town.

I also commented to John Christensen and Dan (I forgot his last name..) that Judge Stidger must be rolling over in his grave as we'd brought the narrow gauge to his town. Judge Stidger was historically opposed to the NCNG during it's construction and used his own paper in North San Juan to downplay, criticize and badmouth the coming of the railroad, even going as far to flat out advise locals to avoid using the railroad and to take the stages down to Marysville instead.

Here are some photos from the move:
100_5758.jpg
#130 and #51 rest on the ranch in the Alabama hills
100_5843.jpg
Using a tractor, forklift and creative use of an I beam, we were able to move the boxcar straight forward without damaging #51 much.
100_5848.jpg
#51's protected paint sees the most sunlight it's seen in 50 years.
100_5865.jpg
The same I beam used to slide the car was used to raise one end above the height of the trailer bed, the forklift was then used to raise the other end allowing the truck to back under the car body.
100_5885.jpg
Loaded!
100_5921.jpg
With light fading in Nevada City I was able to capture a few shots of the boxcar being unloaded. In this scene, John is moving the car with one of Robinson's heavy fork lifts. This larger forklift made moving the car far easier and allowed us to lift the entire body up to position down on it's trucks.
100_5923.jpg
Daniel already posted the shot of the car on trucks, I figured I'd include this additional shot. This shot shows the conditions at the time of unloading as we see a rain soaked Herman Darr pass in front of the camera. The white spots you see are reflections of my flash from the rain among the pitch dark. We were all tired, soaked and glad to be home at this point.

elminero67

Post by elminero67 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:23 pm

The pic of the forklift lifting the entire boxcar in the middle looks a little precarious! Glad everything held together

amdaylight

Post by amdaylight » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:07 am

What is the disposition of the other box car?

Andre

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:27 am

Andre,

There were two other cars on the property, #51 and another I was unable to find a number on. I have no information as to where those were going, but I'll ask around.

Andrew

Randy

Post by Randy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:23 pm

The other 2 cars are not going anywhere. The only reason this car was taken was for the C&C to acquire the trucks, not because it had to move. Pretty interesting that 2 LT&T boxcars have been placed back on trucks in the last 2 years.

Randy

Andrew Brandon

Post by Andrew Brandon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:11 pm

Randy,

Thanks for the heads up, I would have figured you'd know if anyone did.
How is Box #1 shaping up? I hear a good sample of the original paint was found, by chance did someone get a Munsell or Pantone match of the shade? I wasn't able to locate anything useful on #4.

Andrew