Lost Locos of the ACCo.

North American Narrow Gauge; West of the Rockies (including Canada; Mexico).
Gunslinger87

Lost Locos of the ACCo.

Post by Gunslinger87 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:48 am

Hey all,
I've got a question for you. I've been attempting to do a lot of research on the Arizona Copper Co. for inspiration on some On20 modeling. However I've taken personal interest in the ACC and its old right-of-way. I know that nearly all of it has been whipped out due to the open pit mining operations. However there is one thing that has captured my curiosity.

At one point in time three of the ACC 20" gauge porter were abandoned at the top of the Coronado incline, left to rust and decay. Then in the late 80s (I think) they were finally recovered. What I'm curious about is if the abandonment site where the Porter were located is still in tact? Although I have no idea when I could possibly make it out there, I would love to go and explore the old site, take some reference photos, possibly map out the area, ect.

I would really appreciate any and all help/info on the site location.

John Coker

Re: Lost Locos of the ACCo.

Post by John Coker » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:50 pm

I would recommend latching onto a copy of Fine Scale Railroader's 2004 Logging, Mining and Industrial Annual. It has a trove of information, photos and maps. It has plans of the engines in On2 to boot.

According to the article Phelps Dodge had to build a road into the area for core drilling equipment. It then that the engines were extracted. I don't know the particulars but if it is on mining property you better contact P-D about it. Call or e-mail Stan or Sheldon at Coronado Models in Phoenix- they would know the details.

Brian Norden

Re: Lost Locos of the ACCo.

Post by Brian Norden » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm traveling right now, but at home I have a couple of books about the mining operations at Clifton/Morenci, Arizona; one about the underground mining era and one about the later open pit era.

There is a chapter about the recovery of the locomotives, etc. If I recall correctly, the removal was done by the Arizona National Guard as a training exercise.

When I get home, I'll check the book and see what it says about the location.
Brian Norden