PacificNG Header
PacificNG Header 

Mich Cal Lumber Incline?

North American Narrow Gauge; West of the Rockies (including Canada; Mexico).

Mich Cal Lumber Incline?

Postby JMaurer1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:41 am

Okay, so I was sent a link to some photos taken by the USFS during the time of the King fire last year. I finally decided to take a better look at them and noticed that they are of what appears to be an incline.

https://www.facebook.com/KINGFIREPIO/ph ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/KINGFIREPIO/ph ... =3&theater

Since the King fire was where the Mich Cal Lumber Co operated, I figured that it must be of the Mich Cal and looking in my reference material...the Mich Cal did have an incline just east of Saddle Mountain. However, looking at Google there is no water tower, pipe or anything else remotely looking like what is in the pictures.

There is almost no other info on the pictures and I can find of no other inclines on the Mich Cal (I'm sure there were more, just none labeled). I've scowered USGS topo maps and Google maps can't even find a water tower being anywhere in the area (or at least easily recognizable on Google maps). Does anyone have any ideas as to where this is? Any help is appreciated...

JMaurer1@csus.edu
JMaurer1

Re: Mich Cal Lumber Incline?

Postby r3feetr » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Check out the Pollock Pines 15 min Quadrangle on the left hand side at 47' 30". It is a tramway from the El Dorado Powerhouse up the penstock to a surge tank. Water is supplied from the Forbay at Pollock Pines. Sorry, it's not a lumber company incline.
r3feetr

Postby JMaurer1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:33 pm

That is it! You are completely right. Thanks for keeping me from going crazy trying to figure this out. At the same time, I wonder why those tracks were there and what they were used for...moving the equipment to the power station?
JMaurer1

Postby Andrew Brandon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:29 pm

I would imagine it moved not only the equipment, but also for sections of the penstock running alongside it. PG&E constructed a number of these style tramways alongside their various power projects. The dam at Spaulding still has an incline that I believe gets used to every now and then. I've also noticed there is an interesting system at Agnew and Gem lakes (Near June Lake) has a tramway that appears to meet barge of some sort to float the car across to the incline for Gem lake.

There are some great photos of these tramways in use in: Powerhouses of the Sierra Nevada by Steve Hubbard
Andrew Brandon - PacificNG Webmaster
An End To Red Domes In Our Lifetime!
Andrew Brandon

Return to Western Narrow Gauge Discussion